|11.05.15 at 11:52 am ET|
When the Bruins admittedly reached for Zachary Senyshyn with the 15th overall pick in June, their thinking was that Senyshyn was buried on a good junior team (he still had 26 goals) and was primed to explode. The message from both inside and outside the organization was that if he were to be in the 2016 draft, the performance he was about to have would make him a much higher pick.
Senyshyn is probably still years away from the NHL, but so far he’s made the Bruins look smart for their investment. The right wing has 10 goals through the first 16 games of the season for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL. Here’s one of them, courtesy of Weekend at Bergy’s.
The news hasn’t been as good for 14th overall pick Jake DeBrusk. The Swift Current Broncos of the WHL announced this week that he is out indefinitely with a lower-body injury. The left wing had gotten off to a very good start, registering 20 points (six goals, four assists) in 14 games.
|11.04.15 at 4:12 pm ET|
Hockey is a humbling sport, and Max Talbot was reminded of that last week when he revisited a part of his career that he figured was in his past.
For the first time since April of 2006, the 30-year-old Talbot played three games in three nights. The reason he’d gone so long without doing so is because the CBA doesn’t allow it to happen in the NHL.
Three-in-threes are for AHLers only. For eight days recently — and certainly against his wishes — Talbot was an AHL player.
Having been in the NHL for a long time with success — Talbot’s best-known for scoring the only two goals of the Penguins‘ Cup-clinching Game 7 win over the Red Wings in 2009 — Talbot had every right to be upset with the move, which could be seen coming when he cleared waivers prior to the season. Ever the optimist, Talbot chose positivity over being a grumpy has-been playing in the minors.
“[It was] unusual; I’ve been playing in [the NHL] for 10, 11 years, but at the same time, it was good for me,” Talbot said upon being recalled to the Bruins on Wednesday. “I skated three games in three nights, a lot of ice time, played different positions, different circumstances, power play, PK and it felt good to play, for sure.”
Talbot wasn’t playing in Boston ‘ he dressed for just two games this season prior to being sent down ‘ so the assignment to Providence allowed him to at least keep the rust off. Playing on different lines and seeing some time with rookie sensation Frank Vatrano, Talbot had four points (all assists) in his three games with Providence.
Furthermore, he didn’t seem too sour about being there.
“He’s a good pro,” Alexander Khokhlachev, who was still down in Providence last week, said of Talbot. “He understands everything. He’s a really good player and has a lot of experience, so he knows what to do and how to do it.”
Now the Bruins will need Talbot, as he’s quickly gone from a spare part to a potential solution to the loss of Chris Kelly. With Kelly out for at least the rest of the regular season, Talbot is a top candidate to take on Kelly’s responsibilities as a bottom six wing/center option and reliable penalty killer. On the season, only Patrice Bergeron has spent more time on the penalty kill among Bruins forwards than Kelly.
‘You lose Kelly, you lose a good penalty killer,’ Claude Julien said Wednesday. ‘We brought in Max Talbot because No. 1 he is a penalty killer. No. 2, he’s a great veteran. He’s a great leader. He comes and he plays hard every night.
“Somewhere along the way, you find ways to compensate for Kelly’s loss, and Max is our answer right now to come in and help us out in that area.”
Talbot’s Bruins career has been odd to this point since being acquired at last season’s trade deadline, but if the veteran wants to improve his odds of staying in the NHL beyond this season, Kelly’s absence will provide him the opportunity to improve his stock.
“I’m going to do whatever they ask me to do here and work hard,” Talbot said. “If I get into games, I’ll play hard and do what I’ve been doing for 11 years. I’m not trying to play like Kells plays or like anybody else. I’m going to play like Max Talbot can play. That’s all I can do.”
|11.04.15 at 12:06 pm ET|
David Pastrnak will not travel with the Bruins for their upcoming road trip, an indication that he will miss Boston’s next three games as he continues to rest a bruised foot.
“He’s staying behind,” Claude Julien said after Wednesday’s practice. “He’s going to be staying behind for the weekend.”
Pastrnak suffered his injury early in the third period of last Tuesday’s game against the Coyotes. He played in Boston’s next two games, but ineffectiveness led Julien to give him just three shifts over the final two periods of Saturday’s win over the Lightning. The Bruins then determined that Pastrnak was better off resting the foot and recalled Alexander Khokhlachev from Providence to play in his place.
Dennis Seidenberg will travel with the Bruins for the trip, but will not play. Seidenberg, who is nearly six weeks into his recovery from back surgery, is practicing with the team but not close to playing.
The three-game road trip won’t be easy for the Bruins, who are coming off a disappointing 5-3 loss to the Stars at home. The B’s will face the Capitals (8-3-0), Canadiens (11-2-1) and Islanders (7-3-3) on the trip.
|11.04.15 at 11:18 am ET|
The Bruins made a predictable move Wednesday, recalling forward Max Talbot in wake of Chris Kelly‘s at-least-regular-season-ending femur fracture.
Talbot, 31, was sent to Providence on Oct. 27 and had four assists in three AHL games this season. He dressed in only two games for Boston this season before being sent down. It was likely that he would eventually be sent down at some point, as he cleared waivers prior to the start of the season.
The recall of Talbot makes sense given that like Kelly, he’s a veteran bottom-sixer who can kill penalties. The Bruins also have Alexander Khokhlachev on their roster playing in place of David Pastrnak, who is dealing with a bruised foot.
Kelly was scheduled to have surgery on Wednesday after suffering his injury on his first shift of Tuesday’s loss to the Stars. His recovery is expected to take six-to-eight months.
|11.04.15 at 1:19 am ET|
It’s been over two years since the Bruins traded away Tyler Seguin to the Stars. And Tuesday night’s Bruins-Stars matchup at TD Garden wasn’t Seguin’s first trip back to his old hockey city wearing a different sweater.
But that doesn’t mean the emotion surrounding Seguin’s departure is gone.
Perhaps sparked by some of those emotions, Seguin buried his old team with a three-goal performance in a 5-3 comeback win for Dallas with Seguin’s second marker tying the game at 2-2 in the second period and his hat-trick tally in the third representing the game winner.
“I mean, it feels good,” Seguin said after the game and a no-brainer first-star designation for the night. “Feels good to win in here, it’s a tough building to win. Always feels good to score. When you’re playing your old team it’s special. Still current friends on the other team. There’s a fine line between them being your friend and them being your enemy for the night.”
Linemate Jamie Benn, now tied with Seguin for the NHL lead with 20-points apiece, was asked if Seguin looked more relaxed in this his third trip back to Boston since his trade.
“Looked like that tonight,” Benn responded with a laugh. “Teams are focusing in on him now. It’s just opening up plays for other players to be open. But it was definitely nice to see him explode tonight, especially in this barn. I’m probably just as happy as he is. I just leaned over to him after the game and told him, ‘I’m sure that probably felt good.’ The bigger thing is we got two points in a tough building.”
Benn continued: “He’s becoming a great centerman for this team. We put a lot of pressure on him to be the best. I’m sure he puts a lot of pressure on himself. We need to lean on him, we need to have him play a responsible game and both ends of the rink and he’s definitely doing that.”
|11.03.15 at 9:42 pm ET|
Loui Eriksson scored a pair of goals, but it was Tyler Seguin who won the battle of once-traded-for-one-another forwards Tuesday night at TD Garden.
Seguin scored a hat trick in a 5-3 Stars win, which ended a seven-game points streak for the Bruins (6-0-1). With the regulation loss, the Bruins are 6-4-1 on the season.
Eriksson’s second goal cut into what was a three-goal lead for Dallas in the third period, but the B’s were unable to cap the comeback with Tuukka Rask pulled.
The Bruins now will go on a difficult road trip that will see them face the Capitals, Habs and Islanders.
Here are four more things we learned Tuesday:
KELLY OUT 6-8 MONTHS
The Bruins haven’t gotten too much bad news of late, so here’s some awful news: Chris Kelly is out six to eight months after suffering a left femur fracture on his first shift of the game.
The injury seemed to be of non-contact variety, as Kelly took some contact in the midsection from Colton Sceviour before going down to the ice awkwardly as his knee bent in odd fashion. He stayed down on the ice for several minutes before being helped off the ice by trainers and Zdeno Chara.
|11.03.15 at 7:21 pm ET|
[UPDATE: 9:30 p.m.] The red-hot Bruins got a bucket of cold water dumped on them early in Tuesday’s game against the Stars, as Chris Kelly suffered a left femur fracture on his first shift of the game and will miss six to eight months.
Kelly suffered the injury on his first shift of the game, falling awkwardly to the ice after light contact from Colton Sceviour. He remained on the ice for several minutes, with trainers tending to his left knee before he was eventually helped off the ice by trainers and Zdeno Chara. He was then transported to Mass General hospital. He’ll undergo on Wednesday.
‘ Ian McLaren (@iancmclaren) November 4, 2015
Alexander Khokhlachev was recalled on Tuesday could remain in the lineup when David Pastrnak returns. The B’s could also recall Max Talbot, who was sent to Providence last week.
The 34-year-old Kelly is in the last year of his contract with the Bruins.