|07.11.13 at 1:15 pm ET|
Seguin had apparent maturity issues in his time with the Bruins, so much so that Peter Chiarelli called out his lack of professionalism prior to last week’s trade. Julien largely took the high road Wednesday, though he didn’t exactly deny that Seguin had strides to make. The coach said that Seguin took his job “as serious as any 21-year-old would.”
“Everybody as a 21-year-old doesn’t always have the maturity to be a professional, whether it’s in the gym, here or there,” Julien said. “You work with all those young guys the same way. Do different players have different challenges? Absolutely.”
From the day Seguin came to the Bruins, there were questions of whether Julien’s system was a good for him given that he was more of a scorer with elite skill than a two-way, defensively responsible player. Despite the fact that the two sides weren’t a perfect fit, Julien said that he had a good relationship with Seguin.
“There was no issue between Tyler and I, and I’m not afraid to say it,” Julien said. “You guys can ask him at some point. There were no issues there. I worked with him as a hockey player, I dealt with him as a person. With everything else, there were never any issues that I know about, anyway. I thought we had a good relationship.”
For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins.
|07.10.13 at 5:28 pm ET|
The Bruins announced Wednesday that they have signed goaltender Tuukka Rask to an eight-year, $56 million contract.
Though not the richest contract for a goalie in NHL history because there is now an eight-year limit on contract terms, Rask’s $7 million cap hit ties him with Nashville’s Pekka Rinne for the highest-paid goalie in the league.
Rask played on a one-year, $3.5 million deal last season, his first as a full-time starter for the B’s. He led the B’s to within two wins of a Stanley Cup victory as he led all postseason goalies with a .940 save percentage.
Rask’s new contract makes him the team’s highest-paid player, just ahead of Zdeno Chara, who makes $6.91 million a season.
In 36 regular-season games in 2013, Rask posted a 19-10-5 record with a GAA of 2.00 and a .929 save percentage with five shutouts. The B's netminder finished the season tied for fourth in the NHL in wins (19), tied for first in shutouts (five), third in save percentage (.929) and tied for fourth in goals against (1.96).
During the 2013 postseason, Rask led the NHL in save percentage (.940), tied for first in shutouts (three) and finished fourth in GAA (1.88) in 22 games. Rask set a club record for home playoff shutout streak at 193:16, spanning from Game 4 of the conference finals to Game 3 of the Cup finals.
In Tim Thomas‘ final season with the Bruins (2011-12), Rask appeared in 23 games, recording an 11-8-3 record with a 2.05 GAA and a save percentage of .929. In 2009-10, Rask set a career high in wins (22) and led the NHL with a 1.97 GAA and .931 save percentage, becoming the first Bruins goaltender to have a GAA below 2.00 since 1998-99. His 1.97 GAA that season, was the lowest by any Bruins goaltender since 1938-39 season.
In 138 NHL games, all of which have come with the Bruins, Rask has compiled a 66-45-16 record with 16 shutouts, a .927 save percentage and a 2.15 goals against average. The 26-year-old has appeared in 35 postseason games for the Bruins, amassing a 21-14 record, while posting a 2.15 GAA and a .930 save percentage with three shutouts.
Prior to joining Boston, Rask spent the majority of two seasons with the Providence Bruins (AHL) from 2007-09, amassing a record of 60-33-6 with a 2.42 GAA and .910 save percentage. In his rookie season with Providence in 2007-08, Rask finished the season tied for fifth in wins (27) and the following year was tied for second (33).
The 6-foot-3, 185-pound native of Tampere, Finland, was selected in the first round (21st overall) of the 2005 NHL draft by the Maple Leafs. The Bruins acquired Rask from the Maple Leafs in exchange for Andrew Raycroft on June 24, 2006.
Mike Petraglia contributed to this report.
|07.10.13 at 1:03 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — Bruins assistant general manager Don Sweeney said after the open of the team’s development camp Wednesday that Malcolm Subban is expected to go pro this coming season. The 19-year-old goalie, whom the Bruins chose in the first round of the 2012 draft, will play in the AHL for at least a couple of seasons before he would be considered for a job in Boston.
Subban spent the last four seasons playing for the Belleville Bulls of the Ontario Hockey League. His older brother P.K. played for the Bulls prior to him, and his younger brother Jordan, who was drafted by the Canucks this year, currently plays for Belleville.
Last season was Subban’s best in the OHL, as he went 29-11-4 for the Bulls with a 2.14 goals-against average, .934 save percentage and five shutouts.
For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins.
|07.09.13 at 5:37 pm ET|
While Loui Eriksson spoke to the Boston media for the first time Monday and fielded questions about how his two-way game fits with the defensive-minded Bruins, Tyler Seguin‘s introduction to the Stars was met with questions about image issues and his forced retirement from social media.
Seguin was all smiles as he donned his new No. 91 uniform (No. 9 is retired for Mike Modano and 19, which he wore in Boston, is retired for Bill Masterton), but his Q & A with the Dallas media was rather interesting. The first question especially was strange, as he was asked about embracing a fresh start in Dallas after all he’d been through in Boston, and he said this:
“For starters, obviously there were a lot of young guys on my last team. I was the only single guy, so i’m excited to meet some new faces, to have a new start. I’m very exited for the new experience.”
He then faced a slew of questions about a homophobic tweet sent out about Texas Saturday night, which led to Stars GM Jim Nill ordering him off Twitter. Seguin denied sending the tweet, adding, “I don’t believe it was one of my friends” that sent it.
“My twitter was, in fact, taken over along with a few other things with my name,” he said. “It definitely didn’t feel good that my name was out there saying negative things, but I definitely want to apologize to anyone that was hurt by what I said and I’m definitely happy to be moving on.”
Seguin said that two of his three homophobic tweets from his account occurred while his phone was in his pocket. He had previously admitted to one in which he used the term “no homo.”
Given everything that’s gone on, Seguin was asked if he felt that he was coming to Dallas with PR issues after the Bruins publicly expressed concern with his professionalism. He said that the “media needs to do their job and they have a tough one at it,” and that the needs to “move on from it” and “prove people wrong.”
The session ended with a question about moving to center. It was the only hockey question shown in the video of the press conference posted by the Stars.
|07.08.13 at 10:55 am ET|
Hockey Night in Canada legend Don Cherry joined Dennis & Callahan on Monday morning to talk about the Bruins’ trade of Tyler Seguin to the Stars.
Cherry remains high on Seguin, despite the Bruins losing patience with him.
“Something must have happened there to get rid of a kid like that,” Cherry said after reviewing Seguin’s statistics. “I’m sure he’s going to go to Dallas, he’s going to play center, and look out — I’m telling you, this kid is one step away from being a superstar. You’ll see next year. But hey, he got in the bad book somehow.
“You have to watch. The Bruins have a real image of being tough — tough to play against. Nineteen Canadians on the club, and every one of them are rough guys. '¦ So, they have to watch that they don’t lose that little grit. Because most teams are afraid to go in and play Boston.”
As for reports that Seguin was too immature off the ice, Cherry said he can understand how a 21-year-old would want to spend some time out on the town.
“Look, I don’t know what happened. But I’m just saying I know I’d go out, if I was 21 years old after a game I would go to a bar, too,” Cherry said, questioning why the off-ice issues became public.
Added Cherry: “If a guy can get me 30 goals on right wing, and he’s a natural center, and he’s a little problem off the ice, I wouldn’t mind that. I’d try to settle that out a little. '¦ Listen, the Bruins were in the finals. They did pretty good, so [Peter] Chiarelli must be doing something right. But you’re asking me my opinion, I would have never given up on a -year-old kid that got 30 goals the year before playing in his wrong position.”
|07.07.13 at 3:32 pm ET|
After sending out an insensitive tweet Saturday night, former Bruins forward Tyler Seguin tweeted Sunday that he is “shutting down” his account “for a while.”
Seguin, who was traded to the Stars Thursday, tweeted the following on Saturday:
The tweet was loosely quoting the movie “Full Metal Jacket,” but it was the second time he tweeted something homophobic in recent memory, as he said “no homo” in a tweet in which he said a song gave him goosebumps in April. He followed Saturday’s tweet by saying that his account was hacked and then decided to take a break from Twitter.
After repeated attempts by “hackers” to try to damage my reputation I have decided to shut down my twitter account for a while.
' Tyler Seguin (@tylerseguin92) July 7, 2013
Of course, he did not actually shut down the account and it is still active, so he or his friends could still slip up for a third time. The Stars PR department will stay tuned.
The Stars released the following statement in wake of the tweet:
'In no way, shape or form does the Dallas Stars organization condone or agree with the message that was sent out through Tyler Seguin's Twitter feed last night. We've addressed the issue directly with Tyler and we'll continue to work on educating our players regarding the importance of their conduct on all forms of social media.'
|07.05.13 at 9:52 pm ET|
This has to feel weird for some Bruins fans, but it isn't.
The Jarome Iginla-to-not-the-Bruins-to-the-Penguins-then-to-the-Bruins is like LeBron James requesting a trade to the Cavaliers. It's like Macklemore deciding now to sign with a major label. It's like Jason going back out with Jessica after dumping her for Alex M.
Yet at the end of the day, it shouldn't be a major shock. The Bruins obviously like Iginla (duh, they traded for him) and Iginla clearly wants to win a Cup (he chose what appeared to be the best team at the trade deadline). Factor in that the Penguins had less than $700,000 in cap space late in the day Friday and the Bruins had quite a bit of it, and the two sides are actually a logical fit.
Iginla makes all the sense in the world on Boston's top line to replace the departed Nathan Horton. Remember, when it seemed like the Bruins had him at the deadline, we were all assuming that he would take the right wing spot on David Krejci's line and bump Horton down to the third line. When Horton told the B's he wasn't coming back and the Bruins saw the right wing market vanish over the course of the day, replacing Horton with another power forward for much less money (his deal is incentive-heavy and will only count for $1.8 million against the cap) it was a no-brainer.
Now, after a crazy two days that saw the Bruins lose six players from last year's roster (it will likely become seven once Jaromir Jagr finds his next destination) and add two or three, the question is whether the Bruins are in shape to be better or worse than they were last season.
The Bruins went from this offense:
Lucic – Krejci – Horton
Marchand – Bergeron – Jagr
Peverley – Kelly – Seguin
Paille – Campbell – Thornton
to a projected 2013-14 offense of:
Lucic – Krejci – Iginla
Marchand ' Bergeron ' Eriksson
[Any combination of Kelly, Soderberg, Caron, Knight, Fraser or somebody else]
Paille – Campbell ' Thornton
Two things stand out about the differences between the lineups. Most notably, they have some things to figure out as far as the third line goes, unless they add another player. Secondly, this is now a lineup that, without guys like Horton, Seguin and Peverley, demands to be the scorer-by-committee club the Bruins were two years ago.
You'd have to imagine Eriksson, Lucic or Marchand will lead the team in goals, but the B's ' perhaps outside of Eriksson ' don't have that super dangerous threat. Basically, they don't have the player Tyler Seguin was supposed to be.
That's OK as long as not too many guys have down years. The B's didn't have a 30-goal scorer two years ago, yet they still finished tied for second in the league with 3.17 goals per game. They had six 20-goal scorers that season, and all six of Boston's projected top-six forwards can pop in 20 if they stay healthy. It's the third line that still looks to be a work in progress.
For what the situation was ' the cap coming down and dealing with a couple of bad contracts in Seguin and Rich Peverley ' Peter Chiarelli has done well with it so far. So it's a matter of what kind of deal he gets Tuukka Rask to sign and whether he's able to add another guy to the bottom six.
Say this, though: the 2013-14 Bruins are going to be different than last year's team. There's nothing that says that better than seeing Jarome Iginla.
- Fresh Links: Czechmate Edition
- Wednesday Morning Skate: Iggy! Iggy! Iggy!
- Bruins vs. Flames Recap: Huge third period and a 2-1 win on Iginla Night
- Public Skate Third Period: Bruins 0 Flames 1
- Public Skate: Bruins at Flames, 9:30 pm
- Bruins PR memo leaked
- In and Out Burger: Flame-Broiled Bruins: Injury Updates, Who's playing...