|02.01.11 at 8:06 am ET|
In a phone conversation with ESPN.com, Bruins’ general manager Peter Chiarelli said that his team is considering putting an end to Marc Savard’s season after the forward suffered his fourth career concussion.
“There is a strong possibility [of shutting him down], but you have to take it step by step,” said Chiarelli regarding Savard, who will be in Boston to be re-evaluated Wednesday. Chiarelli noted that the team still might not have a determination regarding Savard’s immediate future following the upcoming round of tests.
Savard is still at his home in Peterborough, Ont., having continued to experience symptoms from his latest concussion, suffered on Jan. 22.
“There is a possibility [of shutting Savard down], but nothing has been done and you have to see how Marc is,” Chiarelli said. “Anytime you suffer a concussion, after having a severe concussion and the symptoms that he had, it is a possibility.” If the Bruins do shut down Savard, he would be placed on long-term injured reserve, allowing some salary cap flexibility if the team was to purse a deal before the trade deadline.
Speaking at the Bruins’ practice Monday, B’s coach Claude Julien updated Savard’s situation.
“He still has some symptoms. It hasn’t totally disappeared,” explained Julien. “We’ll let the medical people deal with him when he gets back. Hopefully for his sake, not the team’s sake, but more for his sake that he gets better.
“It’s important for the individual here that he takes care of himself. The organization, medical staff, upper management and everybody has always done the right thing as far as that’s concerned, and that won’t change.”
For more Bruins coverage, see the team page at weei.com/bruins.
|01.31.11 at 4:40 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — Bruins rookie Tyler Seguin didn’t need to have an All-Star first half to get an opportunity to soak in the All-Star atmosphere. As one of the rookies chosen to be on display in the SuperSkills event Saturday night, the second overall pick got to meet the best players the league has to offer while also getting a read on how hard he can fire a slapshot.
Given that he competed in the Hardest Shot competition, Seguin’s performance was bound to be overshadowed by teammate Zdeno Chara, who once again set a record and won with a 105.9 shot. Yet Seguin impressed, topping out at 97.1 mph, which was third-best on Team Lidstrom (Chara and Alexander Ovechkin finished ahead of him).
Going into the event, it was hard to know what to expect. Seguin, who turned 19 Monday, doesn’t take many slap shots, and based on his style of play, it would appear his skating would probably earn him more attention in a skills competition. Still, Seguin showed that his slapper is one that shouldn’t be taken lightly. He fared better than the other rookie in the competition, as Anaheim’s Cam Fowler topped out at 93.8 mph.
“I was hoping for above 85 [mph], and that I wasn’t going to embarrass myself,” Seguin admitted after Monday’s practice.
Just 85? The rookie ended up shooting it more than 12 mph harder than he had been hoping for, but having never seen the gun taken to his shot, he didn’t know what to expect.
“I had no idea,” Seguin said. “I mean, it was the first time I did it. I was just hoping for over 85, maybe 90, and it worked out well.”
As a whole, Seguin enjoyed the weekend and would be happy if he could make it a yearly occurence.
“You have guys like Ovechkin, [Eric] Staal, [Kris] Letang, top guys. I got to meet them all and hang out,” Seguin said. “It was a good experience.”
|01.31.11 at 4:13 pm ET|
Bruins center Marc Savard is still back home in Peterborough, Ontario, as he continues to be out with his second concussion in just over 10 months. Savard suffered a concussion on Jan. 22 after he was hit into the boards by Colorado defenseman Matt Hunwick. Coach Claude Julien, in saying there is no update on how the center feels, said Savard will return to Massachusetts in the coming days.
“He’s going to be back [in Boston] tomorrow or the day after, I think, and he’s going to be re-evaluated, but ‘¦ he still has some symptoms,” Julien said. “That hasn’t totally disappeared, so we’ll let the medical people deal with him when he gets back here.
“Hopefully for his sake — not for the team’s sake, but more for his sake — he gets better. I think it’s important for the individual here, for a guy that’s gone through that, that he is taking care of himself. I think this organization — the medical staff, upper management, everybody — has always done the right thing as far as that’s concerned, and that won’t change.”
Savard missed the first 23 games of the season with post-concussion syndrome, the result of last March 17’s hit to the head from Penguins forward Matt Cooke. In 25 games this season, Savard has two goals and eight assists for 10 points. He has a minus-7 rating on the season.
|01.31.11 at 3:46 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — Bruins forward Nathan Horton left Monday’s practice with what he called a “stinger” on his right knee. The 25-year old skated off with trainers, though there is no concern on his or the Bruins’ part for his playing status.
“He’s fine,” Claude Julien said following practice. “It was just a precaution. ‘¦ By the time he was ready to come back, we were done [with practice].”
Horton is currently in a scoring slump that has seen him produce just one goal over the last 20 games. So far, he has 12 goals and 16 assists for 28 points in his first season in Boston.
|01.31.11 at 2:21 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — After four days off for the All-Star break, the Bruins returned to Ristuccia Arena in anticipation of Tuesday night’s tilt against the Hurricanes in Carolina. The upcoming games in the schedule are no picnic, as they’ll face the Stars, Sharks and Canadiens before playing the Red Wings twice.
The lines looked the same as they did prior to the break. They are as follows:
A couple of notes regarding Bruins youngsters: Steven Kampfer is back to wearing a half-shield, while Tyler Seguin turns 19 today. Check back for more following practice.
|01.30.11 at 8:17 pm ET|
Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas became the first goalie to win three All-Star Games in a row when Team Lidstrom defeated Team Staal, 11-10, Sunday in Raleigh, N.C.
Thomas, who also won the 2008 and 2009 All-Star Games, made 11 saves on 15 shots in the third period. Bruins captain Zdeno Chara had an assist on Team Staal’s first goal, a tally by Capitals forward Alexander Ovechkin.
Anze Kopital, Danny Briere and Louie Eriksson each had a pair of goals for Team Lidstrom. Eric Staal and Kris Letang led Team Staal with two goals. Patrick Sharp, who had a goal and two assists for Team Staal, was named the game’s MVP.
The Bruins will return to practice in Wilmington on Monday before heading to Raleigh, where they will face the Hurricanes on Tuesday.
|01.29.11 at 9:30 pm ET|
Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara broke his own record in the Hardest Shot competition on Saturday night, winning the event for the fourth straight year.
Chara blasted a 105.9 mph slap shot in the final round of the competition, beating Predators defenseman Shea Weber‘s 103.4 mph shot and breaking his previous record of 105.4 MPH. Rookie Tyler Seguin also competed in the competition, topping out at 97.1 mph.
Here’s the video of Chara in 2009, when he first broke Al Iafrate‘s record.
Tim Thomas competed in the fastest skater competition against Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward. The B’s netminder wiped out while turning a corner and quipped following the event that “Fortunately, with my style I’ve had lots of experience falling down.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara