|06.29.10 at 1:29 pm ET|
– Though the Bruins didn’t tender restricted free agent Daniel Paille a qualifying offer, the two sides are still “moving towards a deal.” Since the team didn’t tender the winger, they cannot sign him until free agency begins on July 1.
“Every year there’s some players that aren’t qualified,” Chiarelli said. “We didn’t qualify Dan Paille but we’re moving towards a deal. Part of it is once you qulify him, they have the right to arbitration, so that number could be hazardous. I’m not saying that’s the case with Daniel, but that’s sometimes what happens. … That’s just part of negotiating and positioning and whatnot.”
– Marc Savard has not asked to be traded and Chiarelli was brief in his answers regarding potentially moving the center to free up cap space. He added that the new media has been overwhelming with some of the rumors they’ve come up with but that the Bruins continue to think very highly of Savard.
“I still think he’s an elite offensive player,” Chiarelli said. “Nothing’s changed in that regard.”
– The deadline for filing for salary arbitration is July 5. Both Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart are eligible, but after meeting with agent Matt Keator, who represents both players, while in Los Angeles, Chiarelli doesn’t know whether either will file.
“I’m not sure,” Chiarelli said. “I hope not.”
– It seems anyone expecting a notable free agent signing will be disappointed. The team will continue to look for upgrades via trade.
“We’re going to work the trade market,” Chiarelli said. “We’re not going out and signing anyone unless 1. We have someone we really want and/or we have the cap space. Right now we don’t really have the cap space to go out and sign a big deal but that could happen. We could make a trade and there could be cap space, but that doesn’t mean we have someone in mind. We’ve got a list. The list is small and in the event we do enter it, unlikely.”
Chiarelli did note that the team will look for a third goaltender and also peruse the defenseman market in free agency.
– Steve Begin and Miroslav Satan are both players in what Chiarelli calls the “secondary market.” The team will pursue other options before potentially negotiating with them.
– The Bruins, who Chiarelli said had been targeting Horton for two and a half years, wanted to get a Horton deal done before the draft. As it turned out, it was the draft pick they parted with (No. 15 overall) that got the deal done.
“I know that was a turning point from Florida’s perspective,” Chiarelli said. “There was another team — there were a few other teams in there — but there was another team that had a pick that was close to 15, but ours was higher.
“It was good to get that deal out of the way, and to add a potential impact player like Tyler is good,” Chiarelli added. “We’ve added one definite top-three forward, and who’s to know what Tyler will become in the short term? We know what he’ll become in the long term.”
– Chiarelli had a good quip when asked whether Seguin wearing Joe Thornton‘s old No. 19 was significant, saying, “I guess. You guys can make it significant.”
“I don’t think there’s any overt attempt to outdo Joe,” he added on a more serious note.
|06.29.10 at 12:58 pm ET|
On the first stop of Tyler and Nathan’s tour of Boston, the newcomers Tyler Seguin (second overall pick in the 2010 NHL draft) and Nathan Horton (acquired in a trade last week with the Panthers) just finished meeting the media. From here they will go to the North End for a youth hockey clinic and later head to Fenway Park to throw out ceremonial first pitches prior to Tuesday night’s Rays/Red Sox game.
Though the 18-year old Seguin fielded a ton of questions and had to deal with the talk that surrounds being the first to wear No. 19 since Joe Thornton, it was actually Horton who was shaking and seemed extremely anxious to finally play for a contending team.
“For me personally, it’s a dream come true to come to such a stable, successful, and historic organization,” Horton said. “I couldn’t be more excited or nervous. I can’t wait for it to start. I’m excited to be a Boston Bruin and be part of the Bruin family.
“For me, obviously, it was fun to play with Florida where I started my career,” Horton added. “Once again, it’ll be a little different here. There are so many things running through my head right now. I’m just excited.”
Meanwhile, Seguin, who last week spoke of his excitement to play in a “hockey town” such as Boston, can today learn that the devoted fans in New England don’t stop at hockey.
“It’s amazing,” Seguin said of playing in not only a hockey town, but a global sports landmark. “I’d been here once before and I just thought it was a phenomenal place. I got to meet some of the fans and I can already see the atmosphere that’s going to be formed here.”
As for that first pitch, Seguin admitted he doesn’t have much experience on the diamond outside a round of batting practice taken last week at Angel Stadium prior to the draft.
“I’ve never really played baseball before,” Seguin said, “but I was practicing yesterday and hopefully today goes good.”
Not that there is an unbalanced interest in either of the two offenses forces to join the Bruins, but there was certainly a difference in media reaction when Seguin held up his new number alongside Horton’s No. 18.
Many of the questions Seguin then answered were about the number, which he had planned on wearing in juniors but never got the chance to in Plymouth. He then wore No. 9, which is obviously retired in Boston for Johnny Bucyk, so he finally took the opportunity to pay tribute to his favorite player in Steve Yzerman.
“What we talked about it, but what Tyler and I spoke about was, ‘Look, you’re getting a number, Ty,'” Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said. I think he’s very humble. He’s nervous, but he’s also very humble and he was like, ‘Look, Peter. I know I have to earn a spot.’ As far as it relates to Thornton, no, I’m not concerned about that.”
Seguin doesn’t seemed too concerned with it either.
“That’s OK,” Seguin said of the expectations that come with the number. “Obviously I still have to make the NHL club, but if you’re going to compare me to guys like that, obviously I’d be thrilled.”
We’ll have another update following the youth hockey clinic, so stick with us throughout the day.
|06.29.10 at 11:20 am ET|
BOSTON — Tyler Seguin and Nathan Horton have big days ahead of them, as they’re set to be introduced to the media here at the Garden shortly. Following that, they’ll head to the North End for a Bruins Street Brigade youth hockey clinic. From there, they’ll head over to Fenway for some first pitch action. Myself and John Vu will be following the two newcomers throughout the day, posting blog entries and photos at each stop.
|06.28.10 at 4:49 pm ET|
Bruins second overall pick Tyler Seguin and newly acquired right winger Nathan Horton will be in Boston tomorrow to meet the press, participate in a Bruins Street Brigade youth hockey clinic at the Puopolo Park basketball court in the North End, and throw out the first pitch at the Red Sox/Rays game at Fenway.
Seguin can do it all on the ice, but one can only hope his form on the mound is prettier than his swing.
|06.28.10 at 4:17 pm ET|
“The rumor – what I read anyway – is that Boston is looking to move this player,” Burke told Fan 590 radio in Toronto. “We have some options presented to us over the weekend, trade wise, that do not involve this player (Savard) that we are looking at.”
Savard has been rumored to be on the block as of late. His contract includes a no-trade clause, but rumors have continued to swirl, including a report that he had waived the no-trade clause for a potential move to Toronto.
“Suffice it to say, the media are focused on one name,” Burke said. “And we are looking at multiple names – not including Marc Savard.”
UPDATE: 5:54 — ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun has tweeted that a source in the Leafs organization has told him the team has not “ever” spoken to the Bruins about Savard.
|06.28.10 at 3:40 pm ET|
Bad day for UNH hockey fans. According to the Boston Globe, former Wildcat goaltender Kevin Regan was not tendered a qualifying offer by Monday, the deadline for restricted free agents to be given such. Left wing Daniel Paille was also not tendered a qualifying offer.
Paille is the one that comes as a surprise, as Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli told the media multiple times that he had planned on doing so. The 26-year-old scored 10 points and added 10 assists last season. The former 20th overall pick cost the Bruins a third-rounder when they got him from the Sabers last season, so it comes as no surprise that the team is trying to negotiate some type of deal with him, according to the report. Unrestricted free agents are free to sign with clubs on July 1.
|06.28.10 at 2:14 pm ET|
Mark Recchi, whose new deal with the Bruins was officially announced Monday, said that he maintained good dialogue with general manager Peter Chiarelli throughout the offseason before ultimately inking a one-year, $1 million pact with the club on Friday. The 21-year veteran said that given the mutual interest in both parties to get a deal done, there “wasn’t any” temptation to hit the free agent market and start over with another team.
“They wanted me back and I wanted to come back,” Recchi said. “‘¦It really wasn’t that hard, to be honest.”
Recchi, a leader in the locker room given his NHL experience and relentless drive to win, added that it wouldn’t make much sense for him to try to gain the confidence and trust of a new coach and group of teammates by signing elsewhere.
“If I went to another team, the coach doesn’t know me,” Recchi said. “Really, I’m very comfortable in the role I’ve been given here and I think I’ve been good for them. It’s just the right fit and really, I didn’t see myself going anywhere else.”
Recchi said the decision on whether to play another season had nothing to do with his body and that he made the decision based on family. He plans to continue going year-to-year, but hasn’t ruled out the possibility of the ’10-’11 season being his final one.
“It’s definitely winding down,” Recchi said. “Whether this is it or not, I’m not sure.”
The veteran forward is excited about the addition of Plymouth Whalers center and second overall pick Tyler Seguin, calling him and Oiler’s left wing Taylor Hall “franchise players.” Unlike with Hall, who will be expected to re-ignite the spark for the league’s worst team, Recchi sees the opportunity for a young superstar to work his way in on a playoff team as beneficial for Seguin.
“We’re very fortunate,” Recchi said of being able to add Seguin. “Up the middle we’ve got three dynamic guys, all different type of players. You throw this kid in the mix, he could possibly play wing, I understand, and he’s going to be an important part, but at the same time, he can come in and just be a player, which is I think the most important for a young player.
“There’s not pressure for this kid to come in, internally anyway. He doesn’t have to come in and be a world beater. There’s a lot of pressure on Taylor Hall to go there and be an impact player right away. Seguin can come in and he can learn and grow and be part of a good hockey team. I think that’s very important for the development of a young kid.”
Recchi often stressed his approval of the direction the team is headed in. He spoke very highly of the newly acquired Nathan Horton, noting that his potential had been “untapped” while playing for a cellar-dwelling team in Florida for his entire career.
As for one of the afformentioned “dynamic guys” possibly being moved elsewhere, Recchi, who has heard the chatter that center Marc Savard could be on the block, exuded a confidence in Chiarelli to make the right move.
“Obviously I really like [Savard] and you never know what’s going to happen, but general managers explore everything,” Recchi said. “If there’s viable option to move Mark Savard, then obviously you’ve got to look at it.”
Recchi pointed to the logjam at center as a reason why Chiarelli could consider moving the team’s seventh-leading point-getter. He hinted at the possibility of bringing in one piece for Savard and adding another via free agency with the money saved. Wherever he ends up, Recchi feels he’ll remain an impact player.
“He’s obviously a dynamic passer and he’s been great for the Boston Bruins,” Recchi said. “I’m sure they’re not taking this lightly. If it makes sense, they’ll do it, but if it doesn’t I think he’ll be here and he’ll be a good player again for us.”