|11.05.13 at 9:56 pm ET|
Tyler Seguin was the big name, but it was Rich Peverley who played hero for the Stars with the winning shootout goal in a 3-2 Stars win in the duo’s return to TD Garden Tuesday.
Jamie Benn got the Stars on the board with a snap shot that beat Tuukka Rask stick side in the first period, but Reilly Smith was the first member of this summer’s trade to get on the board when he assisted on a nice goal in front by Torey Krug.
The teams skated to a scoreless second period, and it was a Milan Lucic redirection of a Dougie Hamilton point shot past Kari Lehtonen that gave the B’s a 2-1 lead in the third. The Stars, however, managed to tie it with 2:34 remaining in regulation when Dennis Seidenberg hooked Vernon Fiddler on a breakaway, resulting in a penalty shot on which Fiddler beat Rask with a backhander.
The reception was not warm for Seguin, who was booed heavily during pre-game introductions and again every time he touched the puck. In the third period, chants of “Seguin” rang out during a fruitless Stars power play.
Another former Bruins star will be in town Thursday as the Bruins welcome Tim Thomas and the Panthers.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS Read the rest of this entry »
|11.05.13 at 2:47 pm ET|
NBC Sports hockey analyst Pierre McGuire joined Mut & Merloni on Tuesday afternoon to discuss Tyler Seguin‘s return to Boston on Tuesday night with the Stars and the the Bruins’ start to the season.
The Bruins’ tilt with Dallas will be the first time that Seguin will have the opportunity to play against his former team after being traded on July 4 in a deal that sent Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Matt Fraser and Joe Morrow to Boston and Seguin, Rich Peverley and Ryan Button to Texas.
After a three-season tenure with the Bruins in which Seguin, the second overall pick in the 2010 draft, excited fans with his potential but also disappointed with issues regarding his maturity, many are wondering what kind of reception the 21-year-old center will receive from the TD Garden crowd.
“[The fans will be] probably pretty rough on [Seguin],” McGuire said. “I don’t think as rough on Rich Peverley, obviously. But the Bruins fans need to know that was a pretty good acquisition for both teams. At the end of the day, I know Loui Eriksson is an injured player right now, but he’s going to be a very important part of the Bruins’ future, and Reilly Smith has been tremendous for the Bruins since coming over, so I think it will be a rough ride for Tyler tonight.
“But I hope Bruins fans remember that magical run in 2011, because it was something special and he was a big part of it.”
Seguin has adjusted well to his new team in Dallas, as he has recorded six goals and nine assists in just 14 games. The Ontario native is on pace to have an 88-point season, 21 points more than his career high (67 in 2011-12).
“[Seguin's reception in Dallas has been] very strong, very good, very positive. I think sometimes young players … need to be scared straight, and one of the ways of scaring them straight is by trading them earlier in their careers,” McGuire said. “Chris Pronger is exhibit A. He went from being a decent player who should’ve been a superstar to being the MVP of the league after he got traded out of Hartford/Carolina to St. Louis, and he needed that. He needed to get his attention that it wasn’t going to be easy.
“I think the same thing is going to happen with Tyler Seguin. There’s a guy running the Boston Bruins right now, Cam Neely, he didn’t do much when he was a member of the Vancouver Canucks, but when he got traded to the Boston Bruins, he became a cult icon. So sometimes young players just need a little wakeup call, and I think maybe this was a wakeup call that Tyler Seguin needed.”
|11.05.13 at 1:02 pm ET|
While it’s probably the 50th thing of the list of interesting things about Tuesday night’s Bruins-Stars game, the Bruins will use the third line they were expecting to have when the season began.
In the last week of training camp, the Bruins began using a line of Chris Kelly between Carl Soderberg and Reilly Smith in anticipation of using the trio as their third line when the season began. However, an ankle injury to Soderberg forced him to miss the start of the season, and though Soderberg has played the last seven games, different circumstances have kept the trio from playing together.
The B’s opened the season with a third line of Kelly between Jordan Caron and Smith, with Smith being promoted to the second line for the third period of the fourth game of the season and stayed their the last nine games.
The recent recall of Ryan Spooner also gave the third line a different look, and through 13 games, the Bruins have used five different third lines: Kelly between Caron and Smith, Kelly between Brad Marchand and Caron, Kelly between Soderberg and Marchand, Kelly between Soderberg and Caron and Spooner between Kelly and Soderberg.
Now, with Loui Eriksson set to return from his concussion and Marchand remaining on the second line, the B’s will finally use what they had initially believed to be their third line.
“You’re trying to get some stability with your lines — a little bit of it anyways,” Claude Julien said. “That’s not always easy – you need guys to play well in their positions and their spots. So that line was good for us I thought in the preseason and it gave us some hope that our third line would be a little bit more productive than it had been the year before. So we’ll see where that takes us and reuniting those three guys.”
|11.05.13 at 11:58 am ET|
Both Loui Eriksson and Johnny Boychuk are set to return from injuries Tuesday against the Stars. Eriksson has been out with a concussion since Oct. 23, while Boychuk left Thursday’s game after crashing into the boards and did not play Saturday.
Eriksson has passed all the tests required to play, while Boychuk said he is 100 percent. Claude Julien said both are expected to be in Tuesday’s lineup.
“Their status is good,” Julien said. “Loui will definitely be in, more than likely Johnny as well.”
Eriksson skated on the right wing of Patrice Bergeron‘s line in Tuesday’s morning skate. Tuesday marked his fifth consecutive day on the ice, with Monday being the first in which he took contact.
With Eriksson back, the Bruins’ forward lines are as follows:
Lucic – Krejci – Iginla
Marchand – Bergeron – Eriksson
Soderberg – Kelly – Smith
Paille – Campbell – Thornton
For Eriksson, it will be his first game playing against the only other NHL team for which he has played.
“I have a lot of good memories from Dallas, when I played there, but right now they’ve changed almost the whole team,” Eriksson said. “It’s a brand new team for them, but I was in Dallas for eight years. You get used to everything there, and you miss some things there, but it’s nice to come here. It’s a real nice city to play in. … I really like it here, and the team is good too.”
For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins.
|11.04.13 at 5:36 pm ET|
Rich Peverley knew at the start of the offseason that he wasn’t going to be back in Boston.
He had two years remaining on a three-year, $9.75 million deal he had signed the previous season, but Peter Chiarelli informed him at the exit meetings that the B’s were going to have to trade him to free up cap space.
Now Peverley finds himself in Dallas, having been shipped with Tyler Seguin to the Stars in the July 4 blockbuster.
“No hard feelings,” Peverley said. “It’s a business. You wish them the best, but now I’m focused on being in Dallas.”
Peverley admits that the time between breakup day and the trade was strange. He knew he wasn’t going to be with the Bruins, but he wasn’t a free agent and he didn’t know where he was going. It was strange.
“It definitely was,” he said. “I knew it was coming, but it is what it is. I just kind of got away a little bit. It was a long season, having the lockout and going to Europe and coming back and [playing] all the way to July, it was a long season. I was just trying to clear my mind, but having that in the back of your mind, not knowing where you were going to go was a little bit stressful.”
The veteran forward says he doesn’t regret signing his deal with the Bruins. It was inked the season after he was traded to the Bruins and had won the Cup, so he wanted to stay. The fact that he was moved doesn’t mean he regrets trying to stay as long as he could.
“I don’t have regrets at all,” he said. “I thought I’d be here for those three years, but things change quickly. I don’t know if I would have gotten traded if the salary cap hadn’t gone down, but things happen and you have no control over it. That’s why there are trades in the NHL.”
That brief time between the end of the season and the trade wasn’t the only strange thing Peverley’s encountered the last few months. He missed all of training camp and the first game of the season due to an irregular heartbeat that required a procedure to correct it, and in 13 games he has two goals and five assists for seven points and a plus-3 rating.
Of course, Peverley wasn’t the biggest name that went to Dallas in that trade, and his exit from Boston was certainly less noteworthy than Seguin’s.
Seguin was shipped amidst character concerns after a postseason in which he underperformed on the ice and had a little too much fun off the ice, but Peverley sees a change in Seguin’s attitude and dedication. He would know better than anybody the difference between what Seguin was like in Boston vs. what he’s like in Dallas.
“I’ve been really proud of him, to be honest,” Peverley said. “He’s kind of put it in the back of his mind, and he’s being really professional about it.”
|11.04.13 at 3:10 pm ET|
Tyler Seguin is back in town, and on Monday he met with the Boston media for the first time since being traded to the Stars on July 4.
As Peter Chiarelli said, the former second overall pick was traded for a number of reasons, some of which were beyond Seguin’s control. As for the things that Seguin could control, the 21-year-old admitted that he might still be here had he done some things differently, but ultimately he didn’t seem overly remorseful over how things ended.
“I think there were obviously some decisions that I could have made differently, but in the end, people make mistakes,” Seguin said. “Everyone does. I don’t think I regret too much. I’ve faced up to all the music already and I’ve moved on here. I’m very excited to be in Dallas.”
Added Seguin: “Any decisions I made never really affected my job when I came to the rink or ever affected my work ethic.”
Cap reasons and his willingness to compete were two big reasons as to why the B’s moved on from Seguin, but there were also off-ice concerns with Seguin. Most notably, the team needed to hire a security guard to make sure he didn’t sneak out of the team hotel the nights before home games in the playoffs.
Seguin liked it in Boston. He was the best of friends with Brad Marchand, was on a team that regularly contended for the Stanley Cup and was a fan favorite. Asked if he feels a day will come when he regrets the way things played out in the end, Seguin said he wouldn’t take anything back.
“‘Regret’ is not a word I’m using,” he said. “When I look back, I guess you could [say] there was a process, and here we are.”
Overall, Seguin spoke fondly of his time in Boston. He admitted that he has no idea what kind of reception he’ll get from the Garden fans Tuesday, but he enjoyed his time calling it home.
“There’s so many great memories here,” he said. “Obviously my first year, being lucky enough to win a Stanley Cup, and my second year, going to my first All-Star game and leading the team in points, and then last year going to the Cup finals again, there’s some tremendous memories here. It’s a good feeling when I come here. I know I’m not a part of Boston anymore, but it’s always going to be a part of me. I’m still going to visit in the summers all the time, so it’s nice to be here again.”
|11.04.13 at 1:38 pm ET|
Bruins forward Loui Eriksson said Monday that John Scott sent him a text message to apologize for an elbow to the head that left Eriksson concussed and Scott suspended for seven games.
“He texted me and wrote me an apology,” Eriksson said. “That was good by him.”
Eriksson is nearing a return to the lineup after practicing and taking contact Monday. As for what he felt about the hit, Eriksson said it wasn’t pretty, but he was relatively measured in speaking about it.
“I didn’t remember the first two minutes after I got hit,” Eriksson said. “I’ve seen the replay, and it wasn’t the prettiest hit. The league made a decision to suspend him for seven games, and they took a good look at it. It’s a bad hit, and I don’t have more to say about that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5