Sturm Face ready for a return?
|12.17.08 at 3:30 pm ET|
The Bruins’ brass remains optimistic that Marco Sturm is sufficiently recovered from his concussion/whiplash symptoms to don the sweater and skate against the Toronto Maple Leafs tomorrow night. Sturm has missed 12 games with the post-hit issues, but has been skating on-and-off for the last few weeks. With that in mind, Sturm stepped up his activity today during practice while working with the PP unit at Ristuccia Arena. Dust off the Marco Sturm Faces, because they may be in full effect at the Garden come Thursday night.
Bruins coach Claude Julien said he is “cautiously optimistic” that Sturm will be able to return tomorrow night, but will be a game-time decision after tomorrow’s morning skate and warm-up prior to the game. With Sturm out of the lineup for roughly a month, it’s likely that Julien and Co. will treat the winger in much the same they treated Chuck Kobasew when he returned from injury earlier this season.
“I say cautiously with Marco because I thought he was close at one point when he was skating, but then he took a step backwards,” said Julien. “But right now in the last week everything has been positive and he’s been moving forward to coming back.”
The coaching staff can plop Sturm onto a fourth line with Shawn Thornton and Stephane Yelle to give them a little bit more offensive punch and ease the German forward back into the B’s fold. How did it work for Kobasew? He only notched a goal and an assist in a 3-1 victory over the Buffalo Sabres on Nov. 8 — a performance that Sturm hopes to match if he gets in against the Leafs at the Garden tomorrow evening.
- Stanley Cup Final Quick Recap: Bruins lose 6-5 in OT. See ya Monday, TD...
- Public Skate: Bruins 5 Blackhawks 5 OT TIME Y'ALLLLLLL
- Public Skate: Game 4, Bruins 3, Blackhawks 4 - Third Period
- Stanley Cup Final: HNIC Game 4 Intro: Killing it, as usual.
- Bruins vs. Blackhawks Stanley Cup Final Game 4 Complete Coverage
- Bruin text messages: a Cup of Chowder exclusive
- 3 Questions with... MightyMikeD of Cheer the Anthem