Caps lead the Bruins, 2-1, after one period of play
|01.27.09 at 7:36 pm ET|
Goals by old friend Michael Nylander and young defenseman Mike Green have the Capitals up by a 2-1 score after the first twenty minutes of play. Nylander potted a garbage goal in front in the final seconds of the first period when Tomas Fleischmann kicked the puck to him at the goal mouth. The Caps hold a 2-1 lead after one period of play.
Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas did his best to try and hold them back, but the high-powered Washington Capitals cashed in and drew first blood against the B’s. Just seconds after the Bruins killed off a Marc Savard penalty, Mike Green took a feed from Russian winger Alex Ovechkin and scored on a bomb from the high point just 2:08 into the game. Shawn Thornton tied things up with 9:26 left when he picked off an errant puck and lifted a beauty of a backhanded past Caps goalie Jose Theodore.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara