Axelsson empty netter secures win for the Bruins
|03.07.09 at 2:55 pm ET|
18:51: The intensity that the Bruins have put into this one really seems to be wearing down the Blackhawks. A Chicago defenseman wiped out while attempting to change direction, and turned the puck right over to Milan Lucic at the blue line. Looch worked it to Savard in the middle and he found a wide open Phil Kessel at the right faceoff dot, and Kessel slammed it home for his 27th goal of the season.
10:55: Great job of hustling and backchecking by Matt Hunwick to keep the puck in the Chicago zone, and then nearly set up a score to Shawn Thornton barreling down toward the net.
9:34: Old friend Kris Versteeg pops in a long rebound to cut the Bruins lead within two goals. The score came after the Blackhawks had noticeably ramped up the intensity.
5:26: Absolute laser beam of a shot off the stick of Pat Kane during the opening seconds of a Chicago power play (Andrew Ference, interference). The rocket released at the edge of the left faceoff circle and cuts it to a one-goal game.
1:53: Tim Thomas has been immense in the past few moments as the Blackhawks have really turned up the pressure. Crafty shot by Marty Havlat from behind the net that bounced off Andrew Ference’s leg, but Thomas able to smother it.
00:32.2: Great forecheck by P.J. Axelsson and he gets the emtpy-netter to salt away the win for the Bruins.
The B’s lead the Blackhawks by a 4-3 score with 4:31 to go in the third period.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara