Hunwick sniper shot puts Bruins up on the board
|03.19.09 at 6:33 pm ET|
6:35: Both goaltenders look sharp early with local boy done good Jonathan Quick representing UMass hockey well between the pipes for the Kings. Quick just made a great sprawling glove save on a Blake Wheeler breakaway. Big Wheels came bombing straight down the slot without a defender in sight after a great takeaway and dish from Marc Savard. Wheeler made a few “quick hands” moves with the stick and then attempted to tuck a forehand inside the right post. Quick stayed strong to the pipe, however, and stopped the puck’s momentum until the whistle blew. Great save.
Tonight also marks the fifth start in a row for Tim Thomas dating back to the Manny Fernandez MSG meltdown against the New York Rangers on March 8. It’s a good bet that Man-Fern could do one of those “Not going anywhere for a while” commercials from the Bruins bench.
5:18: Matt Hunwick has certainly made an impression after being scratched the last few games. He was in the box for a hook in the first few minutes and then just put the B’s on the board with a snipe from the slot. Michael Ryder fed Hunwick a perfect pass from behind the net, and Hunny rushed in from his D-man spot and went to a knee while blasting away from the slot. Every Bruins player touched the puck on the play in a nice display of puck movement.
The B’s have a 1-0 lead over the Kings after one period of play at the TD Banknorth Garden.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara