Bruins withstand third period attack and take 4-1 victory
|03.22.09 at 3:56 pm ET|
15:37: As expected, the Devils are coming at the B’s with everything they’ve got in the third, but so far the D and Tim Thomas are holding their end of the bargain up. Little extended shoving match between Andrew Ference and Jamie Langenbruner after the last whistle.
The Bruins keep piling it on in the third. Brian Gionta hit the side of the net with a snipe when Thomas lost sight of the puck on a Devils’ rush.
9:57: Zdeno Chara sent to the box for two minutes for a roughing penalty after throwing a quick punch at Bobby Holik behind the Bruins bench. Chara and Holik have been going at it all game long.
The Bruins survived a frantic Devils attack in the third period that saw them outshot by a 17-3 margin, and take a huge 4-1 win over New Jersey. The win clinches the Northeast Division crown for the Bruins, and pushes the Devils back to five points behind the Black and Gold.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5