Jacobs: Chiarelli contract extension is “going to happen in next few weeks”
|06.12.09 at 1:00 pm ET|
As part of the Owners Series on the Dale and Holley Show Friday afternoon, Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs said that a contract extension with Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli should be finalized within the next few weeks. The B’s GM is entering the final year of a four-year deal that he signed with the team in 2006.
Chiarelli has overseen a stunning rise from the basement to the top of the Eastern Conference standings over the last three seasons, and both sides have been working toward a deal for the last four months.
“I made this observation a few weeks ago. I didn’t hire Peter for four years. I hired him for his career. Peter wants to stay a Bruin. He sees this as a long range career relationship and I see the same. It’s evolving,” said Jacobs. “It’s going to happen in the next few weeks, I imagine, and there will be an announcement, probably. I kind of see him in a long term executive relationship and I think he sees himself in the same spot.
“I believe he’ll be there for the long haul and sees himself there. It’s a repositioning every so many years as to how much you’re going to make, and what the relationship is going to be like from an economics standpoint.”
- Friday Morning Skate: Late Night
- Bruins vs Oilers Recap: Second periods will be the death of us. Bruins...
- Public Skate Third Period: Bruins 3 Oilers 2
- Public Skate Second Period: Bruins 3 Oilers 0
- Public Skate: Bruins vs. Oilers, 9:30PM EST
- Bruins vs. Oilers Preview: Captain Planet Reunion Day
- And another one bites the dust: Loss to Bruins Final Straw for Feaster in...