Rask in net against Rangers in preseason opener
|09.15.09 at 12:11 pm ET|
Bruins rookie goaltender Tuukka Rask will get the nod for the entire game on Tuesday night against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden in the B’s preseason opener, and 29-year-old veteran Dany Sabourin will get the start in goal against the Toronto Maple Leads on Wednesday night.
The two goaltenders are in a competition for the backup spot to goaltender Tim Thomas, and B’s coach Claude Julien was anxious to get a look at both goaltenders. Rookie center Zach Hamill will also get a long look on the top line vs. the Rangers as he’ll get play between Blake Wheeler and Marco Sturm, who is playing in his first game since wrenching his right knee against the Maple Leafs on Dec. 18.
The other members of the B’s traveling party set to play against the Rags on Tuesday: Jamie Arniel, Byron Bitz, Chuck Kobasew, Mikko Lehtonen, Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Max Sauve, Vladmir Sobotka and Trent Whitfield at forward; Andrew Bodnarchuk, Johnny Boychuk, Zdeno Chara, Matt Hunwick, Adam McQuaid and Jeff Penner; goaltenders Rask and Sabourin.
“(Sturm) is in good shape and his knee is 100 percent, so I said why not get out of his system right away and a get his first game under his belt?” said B’s coach Claude Julien. “It’s a long camp and getting him in that first game will give us some more options and then we can see him more if we need to.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara