|US Olympic roster to be announced at Winter Classic||11.03.09 at 12:34 pm ET|
As expected, USA Hockey announced that they will reveal their 23-man US Olympic Team roster during the Jan. 1 NBC broadcast of the Bridgestone Winter Classic between the Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers at Fenway Park. Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas was the only current B’s player invited to the Olympic orientation camp on Aug. 17-19 in Woodbridge, Ill., but is expected to get some stiff competition for starting goaltending honors with Sabres goalie Ryan Miller. Kings goalie Jonathan Quick and Avalanche goaltender Craig Anderson among others.
There are three goalie spots on the 23-man roster put together by Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke. The XXI Winter Olympic games set in Vancouver, B.C. will begin on Feb. 16 and wind up 12 days later with the gold medal game on Feb. 28 during a two-week break in the NHL season. Team USA will begin their schedule with a game against Team Switzerland on Feb. 16.
The U.S. roster will include 20 skaters and three goaltenders. It is expected that all 23 players will come from the NHL. Ron Wilson, head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, is the head coach of the 2010 U.S. Olympic Men’s Ice Hockey Team, with Scott Gordon, head coach of the New York Islanders, and John Tortorella, head coach of the New York Rangers, serving as assistant coaches.
- Chara owns, and is a fantastic captain
- Fresh Links: The Kids Are Alright Edition
- Friday Morning Skate: All Glory to the Hypno Claude
- Game 1 Gif Recap: Marchand, Big Z, and the Rookie D. Bruins win it in OT.
- Public Skate: Bruins vs. Rangers Game 1, Third Period
- Public Skate: Bruins vs. Rangers Game 1, Second Period
- Public Skate: Bruins vs. Rangers Game 1, 7:30PM ET