We have a new leader in Washington. Sorry, Mr. President and Scott Brown, it’s your Capitals.
1. (3) 38-12-6 There’s plenty going right for the Capitals, who set a franchise record with their 11th straight win by beating the Bruins Tuesday night. Getting a 41-save effort from Jose Theodore also could be a very good sign.
2. (1) 36-11-9 After dropping two of their last three at home, including a 4-2 contest to Detroit on Tuesday, the Sharks head east for for six games.
3. (2) 37-14-4 The Blackhawks followed an impressive win over San Jose with a loss in Carolina. Think there might have been an emotional letdown?
4. (4) 35-18-2 A little payback is a good thing. The Devils gave all-time shutout leader Martin Brodeur the night off and g0t blanked 3-0 by Toronto Tuesday.
5. (5) 32-15-7 After having his 16-game point streak stopped last Wednesday, Tim Connolly got right back to it. He picked up an assist in the Sabres’ next two Sabres games over the weekend, giving him points in 18 of 19 games. Nice.
6. (10 ) 34-19-3 The Kings followed Saturday’s shootout win over the Bruins with a 3-2 comeback win in New Jersey to complete a 5-0 road trip.
7. (7) 34-19-2 The Canucks are 1-1 after two games of a NHL-record 14-game road trip to accommodate Olympic play in Vancouver. The road show rolls into Boston Saturday.
8. (9) 34-18-5 Ilya Bryzgalov continues to shine. He made 25 saves in leading the Coyotes to a 1-0 shootout win in Nashville Tuesday.
9 . (9) 35-21-1 The defending champs have won four of their last five games.
10. (6) 31-18-6 The Avalanche ended a three-game losing streak with a 5-1 win over Columbus Tuesday.
11. (13) 31-21-4 The Senators’ remarkable nine-game wining streak will be tested in Buffalo Wednesday. If they win, taking the division lead could be right around the corner.
12. (11) 30-21-4. The Predators suffered a 1-0 shootout loss to Phoenix Tuesday. Leading scorer J.P. Dumont has just two points in his last seven games.
13. (12) 27-19-10 A nice start for the Red Wings on a three-game trip through California as they rallied from a two-goal deficit to beat the Sharks Tuesday.
14. (14) 28-23-3 The Flyers will look for their 10th win in 14 games at Edmonton Wednesday.
15. (15) 27-21-8 Turmoil and turnover with the crashing and burning Flames. Don’t look for Sunday’s blockbuster deal with Toronto to stall the nose dive.
16. (17) 25-20-11 Marty Turco is getting back into form. He made a season-high 40 saves in the Stars’ 4-2 victory over Minnesota Tuesday.
17. (16) 26-23-7 After the team showed its faith in him by inking Jonas Hiller to a four-year extension and trading J.S. Giguere, Hiller makes 33 saves to post a 3-0 shutout over Florida Monday. That’s appreciation.
18. (21) 27-25-4 The Wild have cooled off after a three-game winning streak, dropping consecutive games in San Jose and Dallas.
19. (23) 24-22-9 How do you like this schedule for the Blues? A road game and a home game against the Blackhawks sandwiched around a home game against San Jose. Swim or sink time.
20. (25) 24-23-8 Thrashes general manager Don Waddell attended the Kings game at New Jersey over the weekend and a Flyers game last week. Think he might be looking for players to grab in exchange for Ilya Kovalchuk?
21. (18) 23-22-9 Despite playing decent hockey, the Bruins can’t secure wins. That should change in the week ahead.
22. (20) 25-25-7 The Rangers ended a three-game trip through the West with a 2-1 loss in Los Angeles Tuesday. They have just one win their last seven games.
23. (24) 24-23-9 It would be a fair statement to say that defenseman Dennis Seidenberg quietly has led the Panthers in ice time while generating 20 assists. Had you heard even a whisper of that?
24 . (26) 23-21-11 The Lightning improved to 4-1 against division rival Atlanta with a 2-1 win Tuesday. Antero Niittymaki had 26 saves in the win.
25. (19) 26-25-6 Au revoir, Mike Cammalleri (six weeks, knee injury) and the Canadiens’ slim playoff hopes.
26. (22) 23-25-8 The Islanders will look to end a five-game losing streak skating in Tampa Bay Thursday.
27. (27) 22-27-9 A bit of stability for the Blue Jackets, who have gone 4-4 in their last eight games.
28. (29) 19-29-7 Onward and upward for the prideful Hurricanes, who have won four of their last five games.
29. (28) 18-28-11 Jean-Sebastien Giguere made 30 saves in a 3-0 shutout debut for the Maple Leafs. That will work.
30. (30) 17-31-6 At least the Oilers were able to beat Carolina Monday in the battle of the bottom-feeders.