NHL Power Rankings 2/10
|02.10.10 at 12:11 am ET|
The snow and the wins keep piling up in Washington, as the Capitals remain atop the WEEI NHL Power Rankings:
1. (1) 41-12-6 More magic from Alex Ovechkin Sunday helped the Capitals extend their winning streak to 14 games. Next up, Montreal on Wednesday.
4. (6 ) 36-20-3 The Kings had a franchise-best nine-game winning streak snapped with a loss in Anaheim Monday. “It was a nice run, a very nice run,” coach Terry Murray said. Things are looking real good in LA.
6. (4) 36-20-2 After winning the Ilya Kovalchuk sweepstakes, the Devils should be a whole lot more fun to watch.
9 . (9) 35-22-2 After Sunday’s high-tempo contest, we can only hope that the Penguins and Capitals square off in the playoffs again
10. (11) 34-22-4 The Senators had their impressive 11-game winning streak halted by Jean-Sebastien Giguere and the Maple Leafs Saturday, but they have served notice they are in the fight for the Northeast Division title.
17. (14) 29-25-3 Leading scorer Jeff Carter ended a five-game goal scoring drought with a goal in Monday’s 3-2 victory over New Jersey.
18. (17) 28-24-7 A big sigh of relief throughout Southern California and Canada, as the ankle injury that left Ryan Getzlaf on crutches Monday night turned out to be less serious than expected. He should be ready to skate for Canada at the Olympics and for the Ducks in their chase for a playoff spot.
22. (19) 26-25-9 The Blues squandered a third-period lead but came back to take a 4-3 shootout win over the Red Wings Tuesday. Paul Kariya, who continues to be subject of trade rumors, had a goal and an assist for St. Louis.
23. (22) 25-24-8 The Thrashers are 1-1 since trading Ilya Kovalchuk. They took a 4-2 win over Florida Saturday with Niclas Bergfors, whom they acquired in the Kovalchuk deal, scoring the game-winner. General manager Don Waddell had to breathe better after that one.
26. (26) 24-27-8 Mark Streit tied the game with 11 seconds to play and the Islanders then ended a seven-game losing streak with a 4-3 shootout win over Nashville Tuesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5