The snow and the wins keep piling up in Washington, as the Capitals remain atop the WEEI NHL Power Rankings:
1. (1) 41-12-6 More magic from Alex Ovechkin Sunday helped the Capitals extend their winning streak to 14 games. Next up, Montreal on Wednesday.
2. (2) 39-11-9 The Sharks open a six-game road trip with three straight wins. Yeah, it’s a good thing they’re not coming to Boston.
3. (3) 39-15-5 After dropping two in a row, the Blackhawks get back in winning form with two straight victories, including a 4-3 shootout win over Dallas Tuesday.
4. (6 ) 36-20-3 The Kings had a franchise-best nine-game winning streak snapped with a loss in Anaheim Monday. “It was a nice run, a very nice run,” coach Terry Murray said. Things are looking real good in LA.
5. (8) 36-19-5 Raise your hand if you think the Coyotes were the natural opponent for the Bruins to play in Prague opening next season? It makes sense, right?
6. (4) 36-20-2 After winning the Ilya Kovalchuk sweepstakes, the Devils should be a whole lot more fun to watch.
7. (7) 35-21-2 Five games into a record-setting 14-game road trip, the Canucks are 2-3 after a 3-1 loss in Tampa Bay Tuesday.
8. (10) 33-19-6 Leading scorer Paul Stastny ended a six-game goal-scoring drought with a tally Monday, helping the Avalanche beat St. Louis, 5-2.
9 . (9) 35-22-2 After Sunday’s high-tempo contest, we can only hope that the Penguins and Capitals square off in the playoffs again
10. (11) 34-22-4 The Senators had their impressive 11-game winning streak halted by Jean-Sebastien Giguere and the Maple Leafs Saturday, but they have served notice they are in the fight for the Northeast Division title.
11. (5) 32-18-8 Tuesday’s shootout loss to the Bruins was the fifth straight defeat for the Sabres.
12. (12) 31-22-5 The Predators started a challenging four-game trip through the Atlantic Division with a 4-3 shootout loss on Long Island Tuesday.
13. (15) 29-22-9 After wining first two games following two major trades last week, the Flames have settled in two drop their last two games, including a 3-2 contest at Ottawa Tuesday.
14. (13) 27-21-11 The Red Wings rallied to force overtime and grab a point at St. Louis Tuesday but still have lost three of their last four.
15. (16) 26-21-12 The Stars dropped a 4-3 shootout contest in Chicago Tuesday but still manged to earn their league-best 12th overtime point in the process.
16 . (24) 26-21-11 The resurgent Lightning have gone 7-2-1 in their last 10 games and host the Bruins Thursday. Should be a good one.
17. (14) 29-25-3 Leading scorer Jeff Carter ended a five-game goal scoring drought with a goal in Monday’s 3-2 victory over New Jersey.
18. (17) 28-24-7 A big sigh of relief throughout Southern California and Canada, as the ankle injury that left Ryan Getzlaf on crutches Monday night turned out to be less serious than expected. He should be ready to skate for Canada at the Olympics and for the Ducks in their chase for a playoff spot.
19. (21) 25-22-11 Two wins in a row and points in five of their last six have the Bruins back in the mix.
20. (18) 29-25-4 The Wild also will join in early season play in Europe, skating against the Hurricanes in two contests in Helsinki. Yeah, it’s tough getting a mental image of that one, too.
21. (25) 28-26-6 It may not be the best strategy, but the Canadiens are 7-0 when Jaroslav Halak faces 40 or more shots.
22. (19) 26-25-9 The Blues squandered a third-period lead but came back to take a 4-3 shootout win over the Red Wings Tuesday. Paul Kariya, who continues to be subject of trade rumors, had a goal and an assist for St. Louis.
23. (22) 25-24-8 The Thrashers are 1-1 since trading Ilya Kovalchuk. They took a 4-2 win over Florida Saturday with Niclas Bergfors, whom they acquired in the Kovalchuk deal, scoring the game-winner. General manager Don Waddell had to breathe better after that one.
24. (24) 26-26-7 A scare for the Rangers Tuesday as star forward Marian Gaborik left practice after getting cut on the knee by goalie Henrik Lundqvist’s skate.
25. (23) 24-26-9 The Panthers dropped their fourth straight, 4-1 at Carolina Tuesday.
26. (26) 24-27-8 Mark Streit tied the game with 11 seconds to play and the Islanders then ended a seven-game losing streak with a 4-3 shootout win over Nashville Tuesday.
27. (27) 24-27-9 The Blue Jackets are 2-0 under coach Claude Noel, who replaced Ken Hitchcock last Wednesday.
28. (28) 22-30-7 After their 4-1 win over Florida Tuesday, the Hurricanes are 7-3 in their last 10 games. At this point, they are far from bottom-feeders.
29. (29) 19-30-11 That Kessel guy has six goals and four assists in his last five games. Oh, what could have been.
30. (30) 18-34-6 Plenty of Oilers could be on the move before the trade deadline.