Byfuglien odd man out in Chicago
|06.23.10 at 5:48 pm ET|
The Blackhawks made a big step towards fixing the disaster that is their salary cap situations on Wednesday. According to reports from ESPN and TSN, the Stanley Cup champions shipped winger Dustin Byfuglien (he of a $3 million cap hit), defenseman Brent Sopel ($2.3 million), restricted free agent Ben Eager, and prospect Akim Aliu to the Thrashers for the 24th overall pick (which they acquired from the Panthers in the Ilya Kovalchuk deal) and forwards Marty Reasoner and Jeremy Morin.
The Blackhawks had entered the day with just $1.8 million in cap space according to CapGeek.com. The salary cap for the ’10-’11 season will be $59.4 million after the NHLPA exercised a five percent inflator clause on Tuesday. The deal was announced by both teams early Thursday morning.
- Bruins PR memo leaked
- In and Out Burger: Flame-Broiled Bruins: Injury Updates, Who's playing...
- Five Questions with Matchsticks and Gasoline
- Fresh Links: Calgary AHLert Edition
- Shanahan has spoken: Dion Phaneuf gets two-game suspension for Miller hit
- Tuesday Morning Skate: 71 million new things to talk about
- Hockey's Culture of Revenge