- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Quick hits from Chiarelli
Posted By DJ Bean On June 29, 2010 @ 1:29 pm In General | 2 Comments
- Though the Bruins didn’t tender restricted free agent Daniel Paille  a qualifying offer, the two sides are still “moving towards a deal.” Since the team didn’t tender the winger, they cannot sign him until free agency begins on July 1.
“Every year there’s some players that aren’t qualified,” Chiarelli said. “We didn’t qualify Dan Paille but we’re moving towards a deal. Part of it is once you qulify him, they have the right to arbitration, so that number could be hazardous. I’m not saying that’s the case with Daniel, but that’s sometimes what happens. … That’s just part of negotiating and positioning and whatnot.”
- Marc Savard  has not asked to be traded and Chiarelli was brief in his answers regarding potentially moving the center to free up cap space. He added that the new media has been overwhelming with some of the rumors they’ve come up with but that the Bruins continue to think very highly of Savard.
“I still think he’s an elite offensive player,” Chiarelli said. “Nothing’s changed in that regard.”
- The deadline for filing for salary arbitration is July 5. Both Blake Wheeler  and Mark Stuart  are eligible, but after meeting with agent Matt Keator, who represents both players, while in Los Angeles, Chiarelli doesn’t know whether either will file.
“I’m not sure,” Chiarelli said. “I hope not.”
- It seems anyone expecting a notable free agent signing will be disappointed. The team will continue to look for upgrades via trade.
“We’re going to work the trade market,” Chiarelli said. “We’re not going out and signing anyone unless 1. We have someone we really want and/or we have the cap space. Right now we don’t really have the cap space to go out and sign a big deal but that could happen. We could make a trade and there could be cap space, but that doesn’t mean we have someone in mind. We’ve got a list. The list is small and in the event we do enter it, unlikely.”
Chiarelli did note that the team will look for a third goaltender and also peruse the defenseman market in free agency.
- Steve Begin and Miroslav Satan are both players in what Chiarelli calls the “secondary market.” The team will pursue other options before potentially negotiating with them.
- The Bruins, who Chiarelli said had been targeting Horton for two and a half years, wanted to get a Horton deal done before the draft. As it turned out, it was the draft pick they parted with (No. 15 overall) that got the deal done.
“I know that was a turning point from Florida’s perspective,” Chiarelli said. “There was another team — there were a few other teams in there — but there was another team that had a pick that was close to 15, but ours was higher.
“It was good to get that deal out of the way, and to add a potential impact player like Tyler is good,” Chiarelli added. “We’ve added one definite top-three forward, and who’s to know what Tyler will become in the short term? We know what he’ll become in the long term.”
- Chiarelli had a good quip when asked whether Seguin wearing Joe Thornton ‘s old No. 19 was significant, saying, “I guess. You guys can make it significant.”
“I don’t think there’s any overt attempt to outdo Joe,” he added on a more serious note.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/06/29/quick-hits-from-chiarelli/
URLs in this post:
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Marc Savard: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-savard.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Mark Stuart: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-stuart.htm
 Joe Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/joe-thornton.htm
 > Quick hits from Chiarelli" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/06/29/quick-hits-from-chiarelli/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.