Could Leighton signing close door on Thomas?
|06.30.10 at 4:50 pm ET|
Though we’ve been hearing all along that the Tim Thomas-to-Philadelphia rumors have been overblown, maybe today’s news that the Flyers have re-signed Michael Leighton will make such chatter a little less believable — for now, at least.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported the Flyers gave Leighton a two-year deal for $3.1 million total, and while that isn’t a lot, McKenzie tweeted that, “Whatever happens with [Flyers] goaltending, the next guy in won’t be making more than $2M per year.” Evgeni Nabokov whom the Flyers recently traded for the rights of, is likely their No. 1 option, but all indications are he will test free agency on Thursday.
Brian Boucher is also under contract for next season and carries a cap hit of less than $1 million. Thomas is owed $5 million for each of the next three seasons.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara