Thornton-Cooke the top fight of ’09-’10?
|07.13.10 at 7:16 pm ET|
…Yikes. It appears that’s what NHL.com thinks. The league’s website put together a few videos of what it deemed the top fights of last season that it had on Tuesday, and it led off with the scuffle between Bruins tough guy Shawn Thornton and Matt Cooke of the Penguins in the ultra-disappointing March 18 3-0 loss at the Garden.
The game was one that Bruins fans had on their calander as the day the Bruins would exact revenge on Cooke and the Penguins for taking center Marc Savard out of the equation with this dirty hit to the head, one that was deemed legal by head NHL disciplinarian and now father of a Bruin Colin Campbell (Gregory Campbell is his son).
It was less than two minutes into the game, and on Cooke’s first shift that Thornton sniffed him out and took him down. The Bruins were heavily criticized following the disappointing loss for a lack of energy against a team they were expected to come out firing against. It’s quite interesting that a fight in a game Bruins fans were quick to forget is being held in high regard by others.
Here’s perhaps the most interesting of the skirmishes highlighted earlier in the day — Red Wings and former University of Maine goalie Jimmy Howard trying to go after Sidney Crosby.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara