Tyler Seguin on Bruins rookie camp, Taylor Hall, and the offseason
|09.12.10 at 2:46 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — Bruins top prospect Tyler Seguin took part in his first official practice of this year’s training camp on Sunday. After voluntarily skating with Bob Essensa‘s goalie camp last week, he skated alongside Jamie Arniel and Jared Knight as Peter Chiarelli, Cam Neely, and Claude Julien looked on.
“I’m very excited,” Seguin, the second overall pick in June’s NHL draft, said. “I just know that everything is finally here and this is where all the big impression are made. It’s nice to be out there to be able to show my stuff.”
The session was closed to the public, but Seguin has gotten plenty of attention in Boston since his selection. In addition to throwing out the first pitch at a Red Sox game on his first day in Boston, he saw the Ristuccia Arena stands packed for this summer’s rookie development camp. Seguin, who racked up 106 points in 63 OHL games last year, doesn’t mind the attention.
“I’m just going out there, having fun with everything, and working my hardest,” Seguin said. “Whatever comes with it is just a bonus.”
“Yeah I have. I’m pretty comfortable and confident in either position. I’ve played both over my OHL career, so coming in here, any position — whether it’s goalie — those two positions I’ll play to make the team.”
Seguin did catch himself after the last comment, clarifying that he is “brutal” in net.
Here are a few notes from what Seguin’s session with reporters:
– He’ll play in both rookie games at the Garden this week against Islanders rookies. Last week fellow center prospect Joe Colborne, when asked, said that he had Seguin to thank for the games being played on such a big stage.
“He’s all over my case lately,” Seguin said when told of the discussion with Colborne.
– Seguin hasn’t figured out where he’ll live if he makes the team. Could see a situation similar to the Patrice Bergeron/Martin Lapointe situation of a few years back.
“He’s like, ‘Yeah, I’ve been playing for the last three weeks online trying to get good for the tournament.’ I completely 100 percent forgot about the thing and the day we came in I was like, ‘I didn’t even know we had to play,'” Seguin said. “‘I thought we were just taking some pictures and interviews.'”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara