Chiarelli makes exception, shoots down Savard report
|09.21.10 at 10:12 pm ET|
“As I stated on Friday, Marc Savard is suffering from symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome. He is under the care of our doctors. Any reports that suggest that there are any other issues regarding Marc, or him not playing for the Bruins this season, are completely inaccurate.
“Also, as I have previously stated, when there is a change in Marc’s status, I will issue an update.”
Earlier Tuesday, a source told ESPNBoston that Savard could miss the upcoming season with post-concussion syndrome. Savard has been held out of training camp thus far due to PCS symptoms, and according to the report, a source within the organization said that Savard’s case is “not a good situation.”
After the team’s “State of the Bruins” town hall meeting, Chiarelli spoke about why he felt it was necessary to send out clarification on the subject, a rare practice in a town where rumors fly at a rapid rate.
“It’s not normally my practice to respond to stories like that unless I feel like it’s completely contradictory to what I said, which is the case here,” Chiarelli said. “We issued that statement saying that everything is the same as it was when we started the camp with Marc, and when there’s a change, I’ll be the one to update you and there has been no change. The notion that he’s going to miss the whole year and [that] it’s this complex issue frankly is far from the truth.
“The symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome, that’s not diminishing that condition, but he’s in good spirits. He’s been seen by our doctors, he’ll continue to be seen by our doctors and he’ll be back shortly.”
Savard suffered the concussion on a March 7 hit from Penguins forward Matt Cooke. The play kept him out for the remainder of the regular season, though he did return for the Eastern Conference finals against the Flyers