Scoreless after one… Scoreless after one?/Cultural Differences Part 4
|10.02.10 at 2:59 pm ET|
BELFAST — Not that too much should be drawn from the Bruins’ exhibition with a squad made up of Elite League All-Stars and members of the Belfast Giants, but one probably wouldn’t have guessed the Bruins wouldn’t be able to pick up a goal in the first 20 minutes.
The reception from the fans here at the Odyssey Arena was quite remarkable. They seemed to lose their voices cheering each player as they were introduced, though they were able to reach back and get noticeably louder for Mark Recchi and almost deafening for Zdeno Chara.
Once the puck was dropped, the Bruins were in the offensive zone for the vast majority of the period, but were unable to get one by Stephen Murphy. The Scotland-born Murphy is in his first year with Belfast. The Giants actually had a couple of real scoring opportunities themselves, only to have them foiled by Tuukka Rask.
Thanks to twitter follower “batterupbruno” for reminding me of the following: I definitely picked up another cultural difference while mulling around during the intermission. They don’t have fans throw foam pucks on the ice or give away t-shirts over here. Instead, some lunatic with a giant gun disguised as an Italian sub wreaks havoc on innocent fans by shooting subs at them. They are of course wrapped, but the gun, which they call the “Subway Sub Cannon,” sounds more like a lawsuit than a fun time.
- Thursday Morning Skate: Oh My Bergeron
- Stanley Cup Final Quick Recap: Bruins lose 6-5 in OT. See ya Monday, TD...
- Public Skate: Bruins 5 Blackhawks 5 OT TIME Y'ALLLLLLL
- Public Skate: Game 4, Bruins 3, Blackhawks 4 - Third Period
- Stanley Cup Final: HNIC Game 4 Intro: Killing it, as usual.
- Bruins vs. Blackhawks Stanley Cup Final Game 4 Complete Coverage
- Bruin text messages: a Cup of Chowder exclusive