- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Tying up loose ends in Belfast
Posted By DJ Bean On October 2, 2010 @ 10:10 pm In General | 5 Comments
BELFAST — The first leg of the overseas Bruins trip is unfortunately done with, as the Big Bad Blog departs Belfast but will continue to bring all the unfathomably good stuff from Prague over the next week.
There was a lot of stuff to blog in the three days that I’ve been here, so naturally some tidbits I came away with fell through the cracks. Here are a couple:
- Meet Wayne Hardman. He covers the Giants  and loves the crap out of hockey. He’s a real die-hard for the sport over in Northern Ireland, something I was not sure existed. He’s so committed that he commutes two hours every day to do what he calls more of a “passion” than a job.
- Speaking of that name, an enforcer in Belfast is referred to as a “hard man.” Gross.
- People use expressions we’d be familiar with, such as “how are you?” and the other basics, but when it comes to the really informal, youthful way of asking someone how they are, throw “sup” out the window. Instead they say, “What’s the crack?” Gross.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
- “I guess like that?” – Seguin, after a reporter with a very heavy accent asked him how he’d been handling the Northern Irish accents. Seguin apologized several times for not understanding him (he wasn’t alone — the media scrum was just as confused), and when he finally realized what he was asking, it was the only logical answer.
- “I definitely wanted one, but oh well. Me wanting a goal and [not] getting one is pretty much my life story.” — Thornton when asked if he was content with not scoring a goal in front of his family (he had two assists).
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/02/tying-up-loose-ends-in-belfast/
URLs in this post:
 Giants: http://media.weei.com/baseball/san-francisco-giants.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 > Tying up loose ends in Belfast" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/02/tying-up-loose-ends-in-belfast/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.