- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Tim Thomas, Nathan Horton lead Bruins in shutout win
Posted By DJ Bean On October 10, 2010 @ 12:34 pm In General | 3 Comments
PRAGUE — The newcomers made most of the offensive noise, but it was an old face in Tim Thomas  who was the story as the Bruins picked up their first win of the season, a 3-0 shutout over the Coyotes at the O2 Arena in Prague.
A night after Tuukka Rask  looked impressive despite allowing four goals, Thomas got the start and recorded his 18th career shutout. Additionally, the defense looked far more responsible in shutting down any of Phoenix’ offensive attempts throughout the night.
Former third overall pick Nathan Horton  picked up two more points in the game, including his third goal of the season. Rookie Tyler Seguin  took a pass from Michael Ryder  in the third period and converted it into a breakaway goal, the first of his NHL  career.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Nathan Horton’s first two games with the Bruins could not have gone better. After getting the primary assist on Lucic’s goal and potting one of his own from the slot in the second period, he has now been on the scoring sheet for four of the Bruins’ five goals this season.
Bruins fans shouldn’t get too carried away — Horton’s scored 30 goals in his six-year career just once — but it could be time for this writer to rethink the 33-goals he predicted for the 25-year-old. Motivation was a question for Horton while he played for the Panthers, and both he, his teammates, and management have spotted a rejuvenated player in him. It’s pretty clear at this point that the Bruins won’t need Tyler Seguin to overachieve in order to have a top pick light up the stat sheet.
Horton said prior to the game that he and his linemates continue to get more comfortable with one another with each practice and each game, but the three of them have looked terrific to this point. The dynamic between he and Lucic is something to keep an eye on, as their styles of play are very similar and the two have moved the puck to one another well to this point.
– Unforced errors and turnovers grabbed headlines following Saturday’s game, but the cautious and responsible style of play that the Bruins have become known for in recent years made its return on Sunday. The Coyotes’ offense struggled to get going for long stretches at a time, particularly in the second period, when it took Phoenix about 15 minutes to get their second shot on goal of the period.
– The new third line, with Tyler Seguin skating between Mark Recchi  and Michael Ryder, looks intriguing, but not for the reason one would think. Though Seguin had his first career goal on a breakaway that once again suggested his talents as a scorer will be too much to allow him to hit too big of a rookie wall, Ryder turning the corner from a down year last season could also help the Bruins big. Ryder sent Seguin a hail mary pass on the rookie’s goal.
– That would indeed be Mr. Tim Thomas with the shutout for your Boston Bruins . Thomas wasn’t spectacular, and at times could have been caught out of position, but the bottom line was that he made timely saves. As was mentioned above, the Phoenix offense had its fair share of lulls, but Thomas was ready for the spurts of pressure when they came.
In total Thomas, made 29 saves in the game, his first win of the season and his 18th career shutout.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The defense was strong for the Bruins, but it can’t be an encouraging sign that the team has shuffled its pairings regularly throughout the first two games. Such was the case in the preseason, but it appears that Claude Julien  needs to be careful with who he pairs with Matt Hunwick, who despite playing better on Sunday than he’ll probably be noticed, is a bit of a liability as he comes into his own.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/10/thomas-horton-lead-bruins-in-shutout-win/
URLs in this post:
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Boston Bruins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/boston-bruins.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 > Tim Thomas, Nathan Horton lead Bruins in shutout win" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/10/thomas-horton-lead-bruins-in-shutout-win/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.