- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins beat Devils, 4-1
Posted By DJ Bean On October 16, 2010 @ 9:18 pm In General | 3 Comments
For the second straight game, it took until the second period for the Bruins to come alive offensively, but once they did, it was substantial enough to seal a victory. The B’s responded to a 1-0 Devils lead with four unanswered goals — one from each line — in the second off Martin Brodeur  and hung on for a 4-1 victory at the Prudential Center .
Notable individual feats were accomplished for the Bruins, as Jordan Caron picked up his first NHL  goal, Tyler Seguin  had his first career assist, and Nathan Horton  picked up his 300th career point in assisting Milan Lucic ‘s tally.
Tim Thomas  earned the victory for the Bruins, following up a shutout last Sunday with a 31-save effort.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– It was good to see Caron get his first career goal out of the way. The 19-year-old struggled with confidence and over-thinking things as the preseason wore on, and was a scratch in the season-opener as a result. After Mark Recchi  and Patrice Bergeron  took notice, Bergeron, who has served as a mentor for the rookie, took Caron out for dinner and Prague to remind him that he’d be fine if he stuck to his game. The two have been linemates since Sunday’s 3-0 victory and the jitters seem to be a thing of the past.
– There weren’t any real struggles for Seguin in the preseason, but it’s still greatly encouraging to see the rookie center do more than his specialty in scoring. Seguin’s pass to set up Michael Ryder ‘s go-ahead goal in the second provided proof of two things: that the second overall pick is already making a big impact and that the chemistry between Seguin and Ryder, who had a down year last season, is something that could very well take off.
– It won’t be every game that the Brad Marchand  - Gregory Campbell  – Shawn Thornton  line puts together a well-executed goal on Martin Brodeur, so let’s give credit where credit is due. It was Thornton’s first goal since the second game of last season, a 7-2 win over the Hurricanes at home.
– It will be very interesting to see how Claude Julien  handles the decision of who starts in net for Tuesday, because Tim Thomas continued to prove on Saturday that he is no backup goalie. The 2008-09 Vezina winner stood on his head at various points of the night and kept it a close game in the early going.
Thomas made 31 saves on the night, doing so six days after stopping all 29 shots he faced in last Sunday’s 3-0 shutout over the Coyotes. Dainius Zubrus scored the lone Devils goal on a rebound in the second period.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Yes, it is but three games into the season, but the power play in its small sample size has not provided much to write home about. With the team’s 0-for-3 showing with the man advantage on Saturday, the Bruins are now 1-for-11 on the season, with Nathan Horton’s power-play goal in the third period of last Saturday’s 5-2 loss their lone saving grace.
– After having just two last Sunday, Blake Wheeler  went all of Saturday without a shot on net. Wheeler didn’t exactly have a poor showing on Saturday, but he’ll need to read a certain Wayne Gretzky  quote if he wants to improve on his 18-goal mark from last season.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/16/bruins-beat-devils-4-1/
URLs in this post:
 Martin Brodeur: http://media.weei.com/hockey/martin-brodeur.htm
 Prudential Center: http://media.weei.com/hockey/prudential-center.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Wayne Gretzky: http://media.weei.com/hockey/wayne-gretzky.htm
 > Bruins beat Devils, 4-1" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/16/bruins-beat-devils-4-1/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.