- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins beat the Capitals in DC
Posted By DJ Bean On October 19, 2010 @ 10:02 pm In General | 2 Comments
Zdeno Chara  logged a game-high 29:05 of ice time and Tim Thomas  continued his impressive stretch as the Bruins picked up their third straight win on Tuesday night, defeating the Capitals, 3-1, in Washington, D.C.
David Krejci , Milan Lucic , and Matt Hunwick contributed the goals for the Bruins, the first two of which came in the first period, with Hunwick’s coming at 2:08 of the third. Both Krecji and Hunwick’s tallies were their first of the season, and Lucic picked up his third goal in the last three games.
Thomas was stellar once again, stopping 35 of 36 shots he faced and picking up his third straight win. He has now allowed just two goals in his three games.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– A nice Gordie Howe hat trick for Milan Lucic. The 22-year-old left wing picked up a goal and an assist on David Krejci’s tally in the first period before dropping the gloves with Washington defenseman John Erskine in the third.
Lucic is now tied with Nathan Horton  for the team lead in goals with three. All in all it’s hard not to be very impressed with the Lucic – Krejci – Horton line. The toughness is undoubtedly there, and the scoring touch the Bruins needed desperately entering the season is there.
– As bad as the power play has been for the Bruins, the penalty kill once again came up big, killing off an abbreviated 5-on-3 in the second period of a night in which the Bruins only found themselves shorthanded three times. Zdeno Chara was called for a very questionable tripping call late in the second period, so the penalties to Dennis Seidenberg  and Mark Stuart  that had the B’s down two men for a little more than half a minute very easily could have been the only two calls against the Bruins on the night.
– It’s hard to imagine Tuukka Rask  sitting four games in a row, so while one should expect Rask to start the home opener on Thursday, Thomas once again proved capable of gettung more starts than many expected prior to the season.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– These should really start being called “What went wrong besides the power play for the Bruins.” Add another 0-for-4 for the Bruins to make it an even 1-15 on the season. The highlight of the team’s disappointing power play came when the B’s played hot potato with the puck for 53 seconds of a 5-on-3 in the second period. Let’s not even do the math on what the power play percentage would be until we’re confident it the number will be somewhat respectable.
– Not sure that third period goal can save Matt Hunwick from the “What went wrong” space. Some lackadaisical passing between he and Tyler Seguin  behind Thomas’ net in the second period led to the Capital’s lone goal. Hunwick has seemed to play at extreme ends of the spectrum this season, following a horrid season-opener with an impressive two games between the Coyotes and Devils, respectively.
– That’s a lot of penalty minutes for Gregory Campbell , who took a high-sticking double-minor in the game’s final minutes. He had 11 penalty minutes on the night, including a five minute major for fighting in the first.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/19/bruins-beat-the-capitals-in-dc/
URLs in this post:
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Mark Stuart: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-stuart.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 > Bruins beat the Capitals in DC" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/19/bruins-beat-the-capitals-in-dc/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.