- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins beat Capitals, 4-1, in home opener
Posted By DJ Bean On October 21, 2010 @ 9:31 pm In General | 3 Comments
Michael Ryder , Jordan Caron, Nathan Horton  and Zdeno Chara  all scored for the Bruins and Tim Thomas  turned in his latest stellar performance as the B’s beat the Capitals, 4-1, in their home opener Thursday night.
Ryder, Horton, and Chara saw their goals come on the power play, an impressive sight given that the team had converted on just one of 15 opportunities entering the night.
Thomas was nothing short of outstanding, allowing one fluky goal (see below) on 39 shots faced. Thomas has now started four games in a row for the Bruins and has won them all. The B’s are now 4-1 on the season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– That clever little trick Tuukka Rask  and Claude Julien  pulled on the media can be appreciated given how outstanding Thomas once again was. Rask came off the ice in the morning skate first and with a grin spoke of his excitement to get a start. Of course, the Bruins sat Rask for the fourth-straight game, giving the Thomas the start and fooling reporters in the process.
While Rask’s sense of humor was a bright spot of the day, Thomas stole the show for the fourth straight game. He made many a highlight reel save and recovered tremendously each time the Capitals had a chance at catching the 36-year-old goaltender out of position.
There were many “if they didn’t score there, they just won’t score tonight for the moments,” on the night prior to the Caps’ lone goal, with a couple of huge saves on old friend Mike Knuble standing out in particular. Thomas has now allowed just three goals in four starts this season.
– The power play is mentioned in the “What went right” category! The Bruins scored on three of four power plays thanks to tallies from Ryder, Horton and Chara.
Improving the power play to 4-for-19 on the season was no small task against a Capitals team that entered the night having not allowed a power play goal in 25 chances. The Capitals themselves were 0-for-4 on the power play.
– The Bruins won this game in many areas, but let’s not let their neutral zone play go unnoticed. The Bruins created turnovers throughout the night, especially early on, in between the blue lines, creating many plenty of offensive opportunities for themselves and limiting whatever damage the Capitals could attempt on Thomas.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The shutout bid ended at 9:27 of the third period in rather ugly fashion. Thomas came out of his net to send a puck back up from the hashmarks, but Jason Chimera entered the zone and intercepted it, picking up his second goal of the season with ease and ending preventing Thomas from getting his second shutout of the season.
– This should be indicative of just how good a night it was for the Bruins. Semyon Varlamov or bad bounces prevented the two rookies — who both had very good games in their first regular season sample of the Garden — from putting scoring YouTube-bound goals. Tyler Seguin , who had an assist on Ryder’s goal, fooled the Washington defense handily by faking a dump-and-change in the first period before losing control, while Caron squandered a bid for his second goal later in the game. Boy, what a terrible night it is when you can’t win, 5-1’¦
– Don’t quite get all the sneering at anthem singer Steven Tyler. Nobody expected the guy to hit a note, and he hit them all. Sneering unjustified.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/21/bruins-beat-capitals-4-1-in-home-opener/
URLs in this post:
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 > Bruins beat Capitals, 4-1, in home opener" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/21/bruins-beat-capitals-4-1-in-home-opener/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.