- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins fall to Rangers, 3-2
Posted By DJ Bean On October 23, 2010 @ 9:32 pm In General | 4 Comments
Tuukka Rask  and the Bruins suffered a bit of deja vu on Saturday night, as the young goaltender played well but allowed goals due to a couple of flukey plays and a breakaway in a 3-2 Rangers victory.
Artem Anisimov and Alex Frolov netted first-period tallies for the Rangers on a batted-in rebound and knuckling puck off Mark Stuart’s glove, respectively. Marc Staal scored on a breakaway fresh out of the penalty box in the second to give New York their third goal.
Nathan Horton  and Zdeno Chara  picked up the goals for the Bruins, with Chara sending one past Rangers netminder Henrik Lundqvist  while the B’s were on a two-man advantage with five seconds left in the first period. Nathan Horton scored his fifth goal of the season in the second period to make it 3-2.
The Bruins are now 4-2-0 on the season, with both losses coming in games started by Rask.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Tuukka Rask has now allowed seven goals in two games, and whoever predicted the Garden crowd would be chanting “We want Timmy!” halfway through Rask’s second game should probably head to Vegas.
Though the numbers are obviously on Thomas’ side, for how many of these goals is Rask really responsible? One by this writer’s count, and it dates back to Prague. Four of the other shots have been flukey, and two (one of which was the fault of Daniel Paille ) were on breakaways. Rask likely won’t make excuses, but he’s certainly earned the right.
– The Bruins went up against a team that’s been bitten by the injury bug, and they left the game hoping they haven’t come down with something themselves. Johnny Boychuk  left the game with an injury sustained on a first-period slash from Brandon Dubinsky.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Peter Chiarelli likely won’t be throwing a fit when the Panthers choose with their third-round pick in the the next draft — Nathan Horton has been worth every bit of the package sent to Florida (15th overall pick, Dennis Wideman , and the aforementioned third-rounder) in the June trade.
Horton now has five goals in six games played and has picked up at least one point in each game this season, the only player on the B’s to do so. He had just one shot on goal in the game, but he made it count by beating Henrik Lundqvist from the hashmarks in the second period.
– Blake Wheeler  seems to be just a play away from exploding for the B’s. He’s helped create opportunities that haven’t panned out yet, like when threaded a beautiful pass across to linemate Jordan Caron, who would have had his third goal of the season were it not for Lundqvist getting a skate on it.
Though he had a strong night and played well on the penalty kill, the name of the game for Wheeler is going to be shots on goal. He had just one on Saturday, bringing his season total to 11. The rest of the game has been there of late, and with the shots so too will likely come the goals.
– The power play has produced goals in consecutive games. Last week, it didn’t look like the B’s would see too many goals on the man advantage this season. They’ve now had four in the last two contests, two of which have come from Chara.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/23/bruins-fall-to-rangers-3-2/
URLs in this post:
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Henrik Lundqvist: http://media.weei.com/hockey/henrik-lundqvist.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Dennis Wideman: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-wideman.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 > Bruins fall to Rangers, 3-2" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/23/bruins-fall-to-rangers-3-2/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.