- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins beat Maple Leafs, 2-0
Posted By DJ Bean On October 28, 2010 @ 9:44 pm In General | 2 Comments
Tim Thomas  picked up his 19th career shutout and Tyler Seguin  scored his second career goal as the Bruins beat Phil Kessel  and the Maple Leafs Thursday night in front of a sold-out TD Garden.
A Brampton, Ontario native, Seguin grew up rooting for the Leafs and admitted that his friends from home were torn between rooting for their hometeam or Seguin. The rookie made it a little easier to choose, beating Maple Leafs netminder Jonas Gustavsson from the circle in the second period.
Patrice Bergeron  picked up the B’s first goal, his first of the season and what proved to be the game-winner. The Bruins are now 5-2-0 on the season, winning each of the five games Thomas has started. Kessel was able to muster nothing on six shots, much to the delight of the Garden crowd all night.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Don’t lose sight of what has kept this team going. There was plenty of pizazz thanks to the Kessel/Seguin storyline, but Thomas will be the story until his dominant stretch ends. It didn’t on Thursday night, as he posted another shutout in the victory, his second of the season. In the games that he’s allowed a goal, he’s allowed, quite literally, and in the spirit of Wayne Campbell, “a” goal. Three goals allowed and five wins on the season isn’t too shabby for a guy people were praying to have traded over the offseason.
- Bergeron’s goal was the 100th of his career. It took him longer than he would have liked to pick it up, as the tally was just his first of the season. He picked up the goal on the power play, which was the Bruins’ sixth power play goal in the last four games.
If the Bruins want to truly be as improved a scoring club as they hope, they’ll need more than just the first line to produce. It was good to see Bergeron net the tally, and perhaps just as impressive was his play on his own line. Both Jordan Caron and Blake Wheeler  showed flashes throughout the game, and once the second line can emerge as a serious scoring threat from night to night the B’s will naturally be a formidable club offensively.
- All apologies for not stirring the pot when it came to Seguin going back to juniors, but it just seemed too ridiculous, even for someone who has kept their job despite blogging about candy bars and Mighty Ducks movies.
Seguin had an opporunity for his second goal of the game with about seven minutes remaining in the game, but was taken down while coming in on Gustavsson on a breakaway.
- From a standings and overall team standpoint, the 17,565 on hand at the Garden had to be pleased with what they saw and what the victory meant. Nathan Horton , the scorer the Bruins didn’t have a season ago with Kessel gone, proved his ability to do more than score rally the by dropping Dion Phaneuf. Seguin, the player picked with one of the first-rounders acquired in the Kessel deal, scored his first regular season goal at the Garden, and the “Thank you, Kessel” chants couldn’t have been louder. Oh, and the B’s picked up two points in a division game.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Brad Marchand  looked good offensively in the second period, but he took two penalties in the game. The undersized winger first went off in the first period for passing a stick to a teammate and saw two more minutes in the bin for hooking Kessel in the second.
- Taylor Hall  scored his first career goal Thursday. Safe to say Bruins fans aren’t concerned?
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/28/bruins-beat-maple-leafs-2-0/
URLs in this post:
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Phil Kessel: http://media.weei.com/hockey/phil-kessel.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Taylor Hall: http://media.weei.com/hockey/taylor-hall.htm
 > Bruins beat Maple Leafs, 2-0" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/10/28/bruins-beat-maple-leafs-2-0/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.