- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins defeat Sabres, 5-2
Posted By DJ Bean On November 3, 2010 @ 9:29 pm In General | No Comments
Brad Marchand  scored his first career goal and Tim Thomas  improved to 7-0-0 on the season as the Bruins defeated the Sabres, 5-2, in Buffalo on Wednesday night. The B’s are now 5-0-0 on the road to open the season for the first time in franchise history.
The Bruins also got goals from Patrice Bergeron , Blake Wheeler , and Michael Ryder , chasing Sabres starting goaltender Jhonas Enroth from the game after a period. Patrick Lalime played the second and third periods, allowing just Ryder’s goal, as reigning Vezina winner Ryan Miller  missed the game was a lower-body injury. Milan Lucic  added an empty-net goal with 2:07 remaining in the third period and is now tied with Nathan Horton  for the team lead with five goals.
Thomas allowed a pair of goals on 35 shots. It was the first time this season that he has allowed multiple goals in a game.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Good to see Marchand pick up his first NHL  goal. It took him a little longer than the likes of Tyler Seguin  and Jordan Caron, who both took only two games (Caron’s was in the third game of the season, but his second game), but Marchand now has a goal to his name 29 games into his career. The goal came on a breakaway, as Marchand hopped onto the ice and ran with it.
– The penalty kill didn’t stop at Marchand’s goal. With Dennis Seidenberg  in the box later in the first period, Marchand helped set up a shorthanded bid that led to Patrice Bergeron’s second goal of the season and the B’s second shorthanded goal.
– Tim Thomas gets attention in both sections here. He is now the first Bruins goalie to start a season 7-0-0. After Wednesday’s victory, Thomas has posted three shutouts, allowed one goal in three games, and has had one two-goal game.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Nathan Horton is… under “What went wrong?!”
Yes. He picked up an assist on Lucic’s empty-netter, but he wasn’t abe to join the B’s scoring party early on. The winger took too much time with the puck on golden opportunities in both the first and third periods, with David Krejci  seemingly putting him in position to put one into a net vacated by an out-of-position Patrick Lalime.
Horton failed to get a shot on goal in the game and now has had either one or zero shots in on goal in four of his nine games this season. He’s had two or less in six games. Now, the plus side of this is that when Horton does set to shoot, the press box readies themselves to watch the replay of a goal seconds later. Five goals on 17 shots is incredible. Seventeen shots through nine games from the best scorer on the team isn’t quite as impressive.
– While the B’s penalty kill did have more goals than any line or unit in the game on Wednesday, they also did allow Drew Stafford’s second period tally. The good that comes with the bad: it was just the third goal the penalty kill has allowed all season.
– Much like Horton getting guff is a case of finding negatives within a positive, Tim Thomas did have his worst game of the season, and it was quite apparent given that he, for the first time all season allowed goals. Stafford’s power-play tally in the second, as well as an Andrej Sekera unassisted goal in the third help make the Sabres the first team all season to score more than one goal against Thomas, who improved to 7-0-0 on Wednesday, all season.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/11/03/bruins-defeat-sabres-5-2/
URLs in this post:
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Ryan Miller: http://media.weei.com/hockey/ryan-miller.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 > Bruins defeat Sabres, 5-2" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/11/03/bruins-defeat-sabres-5-2/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.