Shorthanded goals, Blake Wheeler have Bruins leading Sabres after one
|11.03.10 at 7:42 pm ET|
A pair of shorthanded goals, an even-strength goal from Blake Wheeler and another shutout period from Tim Tomas has the Bruins leading the struggling Sabres, 3-0 after one period in Buffalo.
Brad Marchand got the party started with Michael Ryder in the box, hopping onto the ice on the penalty and racing to Jhonas Enroth’s net for a breakaway tally at 3:32, the first goal of his NHL career.
Later in the period, Marchand and Gregory Campbell piled on more shorthanded pressure with Dennis Seidenberg in the bin for holding, and the play resulted in Patrice Bergeron’s second goal of the season. Wheeler later added an even strength tally, his first of the season, thanks to a nice pass from behind the net from new linemate Michael Ryder.
Tim Thomas saved all nine shots the Sabres had on him.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- NHL Eastern Conference Playoff Betting
- Ranking Bruins' Top Moments of Regular Season
- Will Bruins Fall to a Presidents' Trophy Hex?
- Can Bruins RWs Build on Recent Turnarounds?
- What's Secret Behind Iginla's New Life?
- Is Meszaros a Cause for Concern for the Bruins?
- Krejci, Milan Finding Playoff Form at Right Time