- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins lose to Blues in shootout
Posted By DJ Bean On November 6, 2010 @ 9:57 pm In General | No Comments
It seemed as though Jaroslav Halak was set to surpass Tim Thomas  for the league lead in shutouts throughout the night, but for the second straight night, a Bruins’ fourth liner threw a monkey wrench at the system.bGregory Campell took a pass from Michael Ryder at 13:00 of the third period to beat Halak and tie the game and give the Bruins new life. It was Campbell’s first goal as a member of the Bruins.
While no goals were scored in overtime, the Bruins suffered a potential big loss as David Krejci  left early on with an injury (see below).
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The Bruins got hosed a bit with the instigator call. Andrew Ference  danced with David Backes in defense of Mark Recchi  and got called, but when B.J. Crombeen went after Stuart following a hard hit on Jay McClement, nothing outside of the traditional fighting major was charged to Crombeen.
– Nathan Horton  played one of his best games in a Bruins uniform but was horribly snakebitten. Twice he had to watch from the bench as near-goals were reviewed, neither of which yielded the Bruins any good news on the scoreboard.
For Horton to beat Halak twice with nothing to show for it is certainly frustrated, but he seemed to play harder as the game went on and the bad news piled up. He seemed to get progressively physical but not to the point where he was taking himself out of the play or costing the Bruins (his roughing call at 8:39 of the third was matched by Erik Johnson). Quite a departure from his reputation as a guy who faded over the course of games in Florida.
– T.J. Oshie laid a perfectly legal but still scary hit on David Krejci along the boards in overtime, and the first-line center was down on the ice for a couple of minutes with trainer Don DelNegro before leaving the game. More on Krejci’s condition to come.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Campbell couldn’t have picked a better time to score his first goal as a member of the B’s, but it isn’t exactly surprising behavior from the fourth line. After all, Thornton did tie the game against the Capitals a night earlier.
– The penalty kill continues to be an impenetrable fortress. The B’s had to deal with four minor penalties throughout the game and sillenced the Blues’ power play throughout the night.
St. Louis entered the game 20th in the league in power play percentage, so while their unit may not be anything to write about, the consistency that continues to be displayed by the top penalty killing unit in the league has been a great sign on the young season.
– Horton had season-high and game-high eight shots on goal on Saturday. He said before the game that he knew he wasn’t shooting enough and intended to fire off more shots.
Horton entered the game sixth on the Bruins in shots on goal with just 19 through 10 games. Of his 148 career goals, 26 of them have been scored on his only shot of the game.
-Tyler Seguin  scored the B’s lone shootout goal in beautiful fashion, deking Halak and beating him top shelf on the backhand. A scorer like Seguin was designed for shootouts, and it showed Saturday.
– Rask gave up some big rebounds early on, but he really found his rhythm. He had the save of of the game to keep it tied when he stopped David Backes late in the third low, laying out and getting a pad on Backes’ bid along the post.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/11/06/bruins-lose-to-blues-in-shootout/
URLs in this post:
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 > Bruins lose to Blues in shootout" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/11/06/bruins-lose-to-blues-in-shootout/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.