- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Devils at Bruins preview, 11/15/10
Posted By DJ Bean On November 15, 2010 @ 5:14 pm In General | No Comments
Martin Brodeur did not participate in the Devils’ optional morning skate on Monday, but he is expected to get the start in net on Monday night when the Devils take on the Bruins. Tim Thomas was first off the ice in the Bruins’ morning skate, making a Brodeur-Thomas matchup likely. Thomas and the Bruins beat the Devils, 4-1, on Oct. 16 in New Jersey.
WHERE IT’S AT
- The Bruins are 2-4-1 in home games, and 2-3-1 at the Garden. They’ve scored just two goals over their last three home games, a span in which they have gone 0-2-1.
- The Devils are 4-5-0 on the road this season and 2-4-0 in their last six road games.
- Here’s one that hasn’t been repeated over and over: Shawn Thornton, at three goals this season, has just one less than $100 million man, Ilya Kovalchuk. Beat that dead horse!
- Monday night will be Claude Julien’s 499th career game. He’s coached the majority of them (260) for the Bruins.
- In three home starts this season, Thomas has allowed three goals: two on Saturday against the Senators, and one in the home opener. He is 2-1-0 at home, including a shutout vs. the Maple Leafs on Oct. 28.
STORYLINES GOING IN
- Expect a bit of line shuffling for the Bruins. The merlot line/energy line/Shawn-Thornton-has-three-goals line was tinkered with, and the tweaked result is now the third line. Michael Ryder replaces Thornton on the right wing, and the third line now appears to be Gregory Campbell between Brad Marchand and Ryder.
The move also allows Tyler Seguin to resume the role of the fourth line center, though Julien said Monday that he’s not afraid to use him late in games in which the team needs a goal given his natural ability. Here are what the lines could look like:
Lucic – Bergeron – Horton
Caron – Wheeler – Recchi
Marchand – Campbell – Ryder
Paille – Seguin – Thornton
Chara – Ference
Hunwick – Seidenberg
Stuart – McQuaid
The move, at face value at least, also makes things worse on Seguin given that he and Ryder had a very apparent chemistry on the ice, seemingly always connecting on gutsy passes.
- It is Military Appreciation Night here at the Garden. Both Mark Stuart and Blake Wheeler have purchased $5,000 in tickets to the game, which will be given to troops. It is Stuart’s second straight year of buying tickets for the troops.
- Until the Bruins prove capable of winning at home, the attention is going to be on their play at the Garden. Nathan Horton, despite playing one of his best games in a Bruins uniform against St. Louis, hasn’t picked up a point in any of the B’s last four games at the Garden.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/11/15/devils-at-bruins-preview-111510/
URLs in this post:
 > Devils at Bruins preview, 11/15/10" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/11/15/devils-at-bruins-preview-111510/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
 Image: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/11/15/devils-at-bruins-preview-111510/marrin-brodeur/
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.