Big Bad Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network

Bruins, Seguin unsure of WJC status

12.01.10 at 10:12 pm ET
By

Tyler Seguin was cut by Team Canada for the World Juniors Championships last year, but that doesn’t mean he’s champing at the bit to temporarily leave the Bruins to play in the tournament this year.

ESPN’s James Murphy reported on Tuesday that the Bruins could consider giving the 18-year-old forward permission to play in the WJC. If Seguin were to play in the tournament, which runs from Dec. 26 to Jan. 5, it would allow the team temporary cap relief.

“I haven’t even heard about that,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told reporters Wednesday morning. “Honestly, I don’t want to comment on it because I heard it through the media as well. I haven’t heard it from the horse’s mouth, so it’s not worth commenting on.”

While nobody is coming out and saying just how realistic a shot Seguin actually has at leaving the team for the tournament, Seguin expressed his desire to stay with the Bruins and help them during the regular season.

“Last year when I didn’t make the team at Christmas, it was the most adversity I think I had ever faced in my hockey career, and I had to overcome it,” Seguin told ESPN’s Joe McDonald. “I said if I ever got a second chance, and the opportunity, I would take advantage of it. But, I guess, I didn’t factor in being in the NHL too much, so I’ll take that over anything else.”

Seguin scored his fifth goal of the season on Wednesday. The second overall pick has nine points in his first season in the NHL

Read More: Tyler Seguin, Print  |  Email   | Bark It Up!  |  Digg It
Bruins Box Score
Bruins Schedule
Bruins Headlines
NHL Headlines