- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins crush Lightning, 8-1
Posted By DJ Bean On December 2, 2010 @ 9:31 pm In General | No Comments
Twelve different Bruins had points and the B’s chased Tampa Bay starter Mike Smith from the net in a 8-1 victory at TD Garden.
In a contest that featured standout play from many a Bruin, David Krejci  and Tim Thomas  stole the show. Krejci, who hadn’t scored since Oct. 30, scored a pair of goals and added an assist en route to a plus-4 night.
Thomas improved to 13-2-1 on the season, having his shutout streak stopped at 107:22 by a Victor Hedman goal in the second period. Thomas had picked up his league-leading fifth shutout of the season a night before in Philadelphia.
Marc Savard  made his return to the lineup, centering Tyler Seguin  and Ryder and posting a plus-1 rating. He was treated to multiple standing ovations by a sellout crowd of 17,565 at the Garden.
With the victory, the Bruins improved to 14-8-2 on the season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Lucic has now surpassed his point total from last season. In 50 games last season, Lucic had 20 points. Through 24 games this season, Lucic has 22 thanks to the assist he picked up on Krejci’s goal and his own second-period goal.
Not only is Lucic healthy, which is huge for him, but he’s played at a higher level and seems set to demolish the 20 goals he was hoping for entering the season (he has 12 thus far).
– It’s been beaten to death, yes, but as long as Thornton is outproducing Ilya Kovalchuk , it will receive attention. With his second-period tally, Thornton surpassed Kovalchuk with five goals to the Devils’ forward’s four.
– Thomas picked up his second assist of the season, getting the secondary helper on Thornton’s tally. The double-threat goaltender’s other point came on Seguin’s first career goal in Prague on Oct. 10.
– Ryder has assists in three straight games. The first assist he picked up on Thursday came on a goal that should have never been scored, but he’ll take it. Ryder was given the helper on Dennis Seidenberg’s goal, a shot from center ice that was misplayed by Smith.
Ryder also sniped one past Dan Ellis from the top of the circle in the third period to make it a 6-1 game. He added his third point of the night on Recchi’s power-play goal.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The idea of Seguin playing on a line with Savard is very intriguing, but the rookie wasn’t much of a factor on Thursday. Seguin registered one shot on goal and had two shots blocked on the night.
Getting pucks on net hasn’t been a struggle for Seguin has worn on, so the lack of shots isn’t exactly a sign of a slump. Seguin had three or more shots in his last four games entering Wednesday’s game with the Flyers. He scored his fifth goal of the season in the 3-0 win in Philadelphia.
– Nathan Horton  had a better game and had a golden opportunity on Ellis in the third period, but he has now gone nine contests without a goal. He was, of course, a plus-4 with one assist on the night, so it would be hard for the Bruins to complain.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/12/02/bruins-crush-lightning-8-1/
URLs in this post:
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Marc Savard: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-savard.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Ilya Kovalchuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/ilya-kovalchuk.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 > Bruins crush Lightning, 8-1" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/12/02/bruins-crush-lightning-8-1/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.