- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins fall to Sabres
Posted By DJ Bean On December 15, 2010 @ 9:36 pm In General | 5 Comments
Drew Stafford provided all the offense for Buffalo as the Sabres beat the Bruins, 3-2, on Wednesday.
Gregory Campbell , Shawn Thornton  and Brad Marchand , who make up the popular “Merlot line” tied one another for the team lead with four shots apiece on reigning Vezina winner Ryan Miller .
Tuukka Rask  made 32 saves on 35 shots and fell to 2-7-1 on the season. The B’s were forced to finish the game shorthanded due to a Milan Lucic  unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at 18:22, though they applied significant pressure, including a great opportunity from Patrice Bergeron  with Miller down. A brawl broke out following the final horn after Miller took a shot at B’s captain Zdeno Chara  in front of the net.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The Bruins weren’t exactly masters at holding a lead in the game, as they allowed game-tying goals to Drew Stafford shortly after scoring their first two goals. There was just 48 seconds of play between Krejci’s goal and Stafford’s first of the night, while Stafford picked up his second 32 seconds following Ryder’s tally.
– Penalties hurt the Bruins, notably Lucic’s in the third period. Likely not thrilled with his boarding penalty in the penalty, Lucic probably said something to a ref in the third, which was why he was sent from the bench to the box.
– Brad Marchand had a goal waved off in the third period due to goaltender interference on Thornton’s part. Marchand sent a bouncing rebound into the net but Miller was caught up with Thornton. Stafford scored the game-winning goal on the ensuing power play.
Thornton also had a pass intercepted in the third that led to Stafford’s goal. Thornton was hot and cold on the night, and despite getting shots on goal and drawing a key penalty, certainly had a couple of low moments.
– The Bruins have generally been able to get up to kick off these stretches of four games in three nights. Wednesday marked the first time they lost the first game in such a stretch. They were 4-0-0 in those games entering Wednesday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– David Krejci has been able to do damage against the Sabres this season. He entered the night with three points against them in two games and now has four points through three against Buffalo.
– The Bruins have faith in Steven Kampfer, and there isn’t much reason for them to not trust the 22-year-old. The latest example came in the first period when, after skating on the power play unit in Tuesday’s practice, he got significant time at the point on the man advantage.
The decision to give Kampfer time (4:19) on the power play paid off when he set up Ryder’s power play goal in the third. It was the rookie’s first career point.
– Shawn Thornton drew a penalty for the sixth time this season, which led to Ryder’s goal. Of course, his penalty in the third led to the Sabres’ game-winning goal, but Thornton, as well as his linemates, were among the most productive Bruins on Wednesday.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/12/15/bruins-fall-to-sabres/
URLs in this post:
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Ryan Miller: http://media.weei.com/hockey/ryan-miller.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 > Bruins fall to Sabres" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/12/15/bruins-fall-to-sabres/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.