- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins answer the call with convincing 4-1 win over Thrashers
Posted By DJ Bean On December 23, 2010 @ 9:38 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins spent the past two days dealing with backlash from both fans and the media over their recent struggles. They responded in a big way Thursday, playing one of their better games of the season in defeating the Thrashers, 4-1, at TD Garden.
Though Patrice Bergeron  got the B’s on the board with a shorthanded goal in the first and Michael Ryder  tallied what proved to be the deciding goal, Shawn Thornton  was the offensive hero for the 17,565 to pack the Garden seats. The energy line winger had a big night, beating Thrashers goaltender Ondrej Pavelec for two goals.
Tim Thomas  improved his record to 15-4-3 on the season.
The Bruins will have two days off before returning to practice on Sunday. From there, they will embark on a five-game road trip before returning home to the Garden on Jan. 6.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Shawn Thornton came an assist away from a Gordie Howe hat trick and a goal away from a real one. His fight with Eric Boulton off the opening the face-off helped ignite everybody in attendance, while his two goals brought his season total to a career-high seven.
– The Bruins responded to the call for more passion and motivation. They were more offensively persistent and sustained energy throughout the night. Additionally, they did it against a very good Thrashers team. This game was looked at by some (including your’s truly) as a game the team could use to establish more of an identity. Now that they’ve shown they can respond to losses as ugly as Monday night’s, the next step is seeing to it that there aren’t any more like their embarrassment vs. the Ducks.
The fans undoubtedly left the house satisfied, as an all-out brawl broke out with 4:06 remaining in the game following a Freddy Meyer hit to Milan Lucic’s head. Lucic, Nathan Horton , Andrew Ference , and Marc Savard  dropped the gloves for the B’s.
– Thornton wasn’t the only one to show up on the stat sheet multiple times. Patrice Bergeron (G, A) and Daniel Paille  (2 A) also had two points on the night. With Brad Marchand  still out due to soreness stemming from the P.K. Subban hit, it’s good for Paille to have a game that can give him some confidence should he stick in the lineup for another game or two.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– With the match penalty that Lucic received for punching Freddy Meyer in the helmet, he now faces a suspension, pending review. It was clearly intent to injure on Lucic’s part and it’s hard to believe anybody will view it as anything but.
– Of course, Dustin Byfuglien scored the Thrashers’ lone goal. Byfuglien had a goal and three assists when the Thrashers beat the B’s last month, so his tally on Thursday gave him his fifth point against the Bruins this season.
– Tyler Seguin  and Steve Kampfer were the the lone Bruins players to have a negative rating. After his minus-1 on Thursday, Seguin is a plus-1 on the season.
– The Canadiens were held on for a 3-2 win over the Hurricanes after scoring twice in the final 3:03 of the second period. The B’s remain two points behind the Habs for the division lead.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/12/23/bruins-answer-the-call-with-convincing-4-1-win-over-thrashers/
URLs in this post:
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Marc Savard: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-savard.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 > Bruins answer the call with convincing 4-1 win over Thrashers" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/12/23/bruins-answer-the-call-with-convincing-4-1-win-over-thrashers/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.