- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Mark Recchi scores game-winning goal in final 20 seconds to lead Bruins past Lightning
Posted By DJ Bean On December 28, 2010 @ 10:12 pm In General | 3 Comments
Mark Recchi  sent a wrist shot past Dan Ellis with 19.7 seconds remaining in regulation to give the Bruins a 4-3 victory over the Lightning on Tuesday night in Tampa.
Recchi’s goal was the B’s second power play tally of the night, as the Bruins were on the man advantage late in the contest thanks to a Steven Stamkos boarding call for a hit on Gregory Campbell .
Michael Ryder , Steven Kampfer, and Brad Marchand  scored in the first, second, and third periods, respectively to give the Bruins leads in each period. Kampfer’s second-period tally was his first career NHL  goal, while Marc Savard  got his 700th point in assisting it.
The Lightning were able to tie the game following each of the B’s first three goals, getting tallies from Stamkos, Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis.
Tim Thomas  made 31 saves on the night and improved to 18-4-3 on the season. The Bruins will travel to Atlanta to face the Thrashers on Thursday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Kampfer’s goal was the latest reminder that he has been just what the Bruins needed when they traded Matt Hunwick. Monday night’s blunder that led to David Booth‘s was the only time the 22-year-old’s style of play has cost the B’s, and he remains their best (and only) puck-moving D-man.
- The Bruins got Brad Marchand back. After missing three games with soreness caused by the crushing hit he took from P.K. Subban. Daniel Paille  filled in admirably, but Marchand’s return to the lineup saw him grab his fifth goal, giving him as many as Tyler Seguin .
- The Bruins were able to draw penalties early on the penalty kill twice. With Milan Lucic  in the box for hooking in the first, the Lightning power play lasted just five seconds before Stamkos went off for tripping Zdeno Chara .
In the second period, Blake Wheeler  went off for high-sticking Dominic Moore, but Teddy Purcell was in the box 16 seconds later for holding. On the night, the B’s were 2-for-6 on the power play, while the Lightning went 1-for-5.
From the WEEI.com Stat Truck: In firing the shot that’s rebound led to Marchand’s goal, Shawn Thornton  picked up his second assist of the season. That ties him with Thomas, who also has a pair of helpers.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Milan Lucic has now gone five games without a point. Prior to this stretch, which began Dec. 18 against the Capitals, Lucic had only gone two games without a point once. Lucic is a minus-2 throughout the streak. His linemate isn’t faring much better, as Nathan Horton  had a season-low 11:36 of ice time, including a 3:09 first period.
- While a couple of rookies shined in Kampfer and Marchand, Seguin has been very quiet. He failed to get a shot on goal, and has now gone 10 games without a goal. He has just two points in those games.
- The B’s blew three leads in the game. The game featured plenty of back-and-forth, but the Bruins had the opportunity to close it out following Marchand’s goal in the third and failed to do so until the Stamkos penalty.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/12/28/mark-recchi-scores-game-winning-goal-in-final-20-seconds-to-lead-bruins-past-lightning/
URLs in this post:
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Marc Savard: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-savard.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 > Mark Recchi scores game-winning goal in final 20 seconds to lead Bruins past Lightning" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/12/28/mark-recchi-scores-game-winning-goal-in-final-20-seconds-to-lead-bruins-past-lightning/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.