- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins looking for fourth straight win as they take on Thrashers
Posted By DJ Bean On December 30, 2010 @ 7:00 am In General | No Comments
Last Thursday, the Bruins grabbed their most monumental victory of the season when they beat (and beat up) the Thrashers, 4-1, at TD Garden. While the B’s (20-11-4) have won their two games since then, the Thrashers (19-14-6) stumbled, dropping both of their post-Christmas contests.
The tables have turned a bit, and now it’s the Thrashers looking to re-establish momentum as they host the B’s Thursday night at Philips Arena .
WHERE IT’S AT
– The Thrashers are 10-7-3 in Atlanta this season, but are 1-2-2 in their last five home games. In their most recent home contest, they fell to the Lightning, 3-2, in a shootout.
– The Bruins have been a very good road team all season, as their 11-5-1 record away from the Garden (excluding the first Prague “home” game) would suggest. Thursday night marks the third game of their current five-game road trip. They are looking to make it three in a row on the road (four in a row overall).
– The Bruins have to Dustin Byfuglien‘s opponent of choice. In two games vs. the B’s this season, the former Blackhawk has two goals and three assists, both of which are the most he has against any club. He’s also had five points in his last five games. To say the Bruins need to keep an eye on him is an understatement.
– Michael Ryder  is riding a three-game point streak that has featured a pair of goals and a pair of assists. His line with David Krejci  and Blake Wheeler  has unquestionably been the Bruins’ best PRLS (post-Rancournament line shuffle — think it won’t catch on?) and he’s picked up an assist in both games vs. the Thrashers this season.
– One. That’s how many goals the Bruins have won each of their two games this week. They’ve been cutting it close, but you get two points no matter how you win. Perhaps they’ll be a bit more offensively potent when the top two lines hit their stride.
STORYLINES GOING IN
– The Bruins’ loss to the Thrashers last month was an ugly one, but it was also a rare occurrence. The B’s have won 11 of their last 12 against Atlanta.
– Last week it was about the Bruins making a statement as a team. This time the city is awaiting a statement from an individual in the form of one Nathan Horton . The 25-year-old is freezing cold, as he hasn’t scored in seven games and was one of three Bruins forwards benched for a large chunk of the third period Tuesday night in Tampa. Horton didn’t register a shot on goal, marking the 12th game he’s had either one or zero shots on net this season.
The problem with Horton is that he let the cat out of the bag from the get-go in the preseason: He can be physical, and he can be the best player on the ice. That’s why nobody’s ridiculing Peter Chiarelli for trading for him. Everybody knows how good he is, but he needs to give reminders far more frequently.
– It will be Tim Thomas  between the pipes for a seventh straight game. He allowed one goal on 27 shots last Thursday vs. Atlanta, while the Thrashers put four past Tuukka Rask  last month on 26 shots. Thomas has won his last five vs. Atlanta.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/12/30/bruins-looking-for-fourth-straight-win-as-they-take-on-thrashers/
URLs in this post:
 Philips Arena: http://media.weei.com/basketball/philips-arena.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 > Bruins looking for fourth straight win as they take on Thrashers" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2010/12/30/bruins-looking-for-fourth-straight-win-as-they-take-on-thrashers/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.