- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Tuukka Rask gets first start since Dec. 15 as Bruins take on Sabres
Posted By DJ Bean On January 1, 2011 @ 3:01 pm In General | 1 Comment
Tuukka Rask  will get his first start since Dec. 15th when the Bruins (20-11-5) take on the Sabres (15-18-4) in a New Years Day matchup at HSBC Arena.
Rask, who is 2-7-1 this season, hasn’t been able to rack up the starts given Tim Thomas ‘ success (1.74 goals against average, .947 save percentage), though that Dec. 15 start did come against the Sabres, a 3-2 loss.
WHERE IT’S AT
- The Sabres are 8-10-1 at home and have had just two games at HSBC since hosting the Bruins last month. In those games they defeated the Ducks and fell to the Panthers.
- The B’s are 11-5-2 in away games, most recently falling to the Thrashers Thursday in a shootout. They have been very successful so far on their current road trip, grabbing five of a possible six points. Buffalo is the second-to-last stop on the five-game road trip, as they will wrap it up Monday in Tortonto.
- Just one point — an assist Tuesday — for Nathan Horton  over his last eight games. The top line of Lucic-Savard-Horton isn’t showing up the stat sheet much, but they had a very encouraging showing against the Thrashers.
- David Krejci  has four points — one goal and three assists — against the Sabres this season. Michael Ryder  has a pair of goals and an assist vs. Buffalo. The two, along with Blake Wheeler , have made up the Bruins’ best line of late. Given their individual success against the Sabres thus far, it will be interesting how they perform together, something they’ve done very well.
- Though Ryan Miller  made 29 saves on 31 shots in Tuesday’s 4-2 win over the Oilers, he hasn’t been tearing it up of late. In his two previous starts, he allowed four and five goals to the Panthers and Flames, respectively. Miller is 13-12-3 on the season with a 2.62 goals against average and .911 save percentage.
STORYLINES GOING IN
- The new year has come and Rask is unbelievably making just his 10th start of the season (he played one his previous nine in relief of Thomas and took the loss vs. Washington, thus explaining his 10 decisions). Thomas had seven straight starts following the team’s 3-2 loss to the Sabres with Rask in net, the longest streak for any Bruins goaltender this season.
Rask has not gotten back-to-back starts all season. With Thomas clearly this team’s No. 1 goaltender, it will be interesting to see if a sound performance on Saturday gets the Finnish netminder another go on Monday vs. the Maple Leafs, who have lost five of their last six.
- The Sabres lost center Derek Roy during their 4-3 loss to the Panthers last Thursday. Roy took a hit from Panthers blueliner Dmitry Kulikov early in the game and is now done for the season with a torn quad tendon. In the Sabres’ two games since losing Roy, who was leading the team in both goals (13) and assists (25), Buffalo has lost to Calgary  and defeated Edmonton.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/01/tuukka-rask-gets-first-start-since-dec-15-as-bruins-take-on-sabres/
URLs in this post:
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Ryan Miller: http://media.weei.com/hockey/ryan-miller.htm
 Calgary: http://media.weei.com/hockey/calgary-flames.htm
 > Tuukka Rask gets first start since Dec. 15 as Bruins take on Sabres" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/01/tuukka-rask-gets-first-start-since-dec-15-as-bruins-take-on-sabres/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.