- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Tyler Ennis scores game-winner in shootout as Bruins fall to Sabres
Posted By DJ Bean On January 1, 2011 @ 10:15 pm In General | No Comments
In a game that could appropriately be summarized as a “shootout,” the Bruins fell, 7-6, to the Sabres Saturday in a shootout.
After Drew Stafford and Michael Ryder  each scored in the first round of the shootout, Thomas Vanek and Tyler Seguin  followed their teammates’ leads. Tyler Ennis then beat Tim Thomas , who came on in relief of Tuukka Rask  in the second period, before Zdeno Chara  missed.
The Bruins relinquished three leads and Stafford had his second hat trick vs. the B’s this season. Sabres’ netminder Ryan Miller  allowed six goals on 40 shots, marking the third time in four games he’s allowed at least four goals.
The Bruins got first period goals from Andrew Ference , Dennis Seidenberg , Brad Marchand , and Zdeno Chara, but Tuukkka Rask allowed three goals on 16 shots and was pulled following the period. After Thomas relinquished the lead, the Bruins faced a 5-4 deficit in the third period.
The team made yet another third-period comeback, with Tyler Seguin tying the game and assisting Steven Kampfer’s go-ahead goal. Stafford would go on to tie the game with 27.8 seconds remaining in the game with the extra attacker on.
With the shootout loss, the Bruins have picked up six of eight points so far on their current road trip, which they will round out when they face the Maple Leafs  in Toronto on Monday night.
Thomas’ record now stands at 18-4-5. He has now played in eight straight games and has lost back-to-back games in shootout fashion.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- The decision to pull Tuukka Rask was highly questionable. By not letting Rask play more than a period of his first start since Dec. 15, the B’s failed at both keeping Rask fresh and giving Tim Thomas — who had started the team’s last seven games — a day off.
To those wondering whether Claude Julien  would have done the same thing if Thomas were in the situation, the answer (based on this season, at least) is no. Thomas allowed three goals on 17 shots Dec. 16 vs. the Canadiens. Julien left Thomas in as the B’s lost, 4-3.
- Blake Wheeler  has found the penalty box in the last three games without drawing a penalty. He was a minus-1 on the night.
- Drew Stafford has haunted the Bruins all season. Both of his hat tricks have come against the B’s, meaning six of his 13 goals this season have come against the Bruins.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Tyler Seguin played one of his best games this season and was clutch down the stretch. In the third period, he scored his first goal in 12 games on a nice one-timer orchestrated by Daniel Paille . He then assisted Steven Kampfer’s second goal of the season, which put the B’s up, 6-5. Seguin now has 13 points this season.
- The Bruins’ defense was instrumental in the team’s offensive success throughout the game. Four different defensemen scored for the B’s and Marchand scored his goal by redirecting a shot from Johnny Boychuk . It was the first time in team history that four defenseman scored for the Bruins.
The second overall pick still isn’t getting the ice time he was earlier in the season, but he led the B’s with six shots on goal in regulation.
- Chara’s goal, a power-play strike was his first in 24 games. The captain now has five goals and 11 assists on the season. Despite his two points, he had a minus-1 on the night.
- Give Nathan Horton  credit where credit is due. He isn’t scoring, but he is (finally) getting shots on goal. He had five Saturday.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/01/tyler-ennis-scores-game-winner-in-shootout-as-bruins-fall-to-sabres/
URLs in this post:
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Ryan Miller: http://media.weei.com/hockey/ryan-miller.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Maple Leafs: http://media.weei.com/hockey/toronto-maple-leafs.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 > Tyler Ennis scores game-winner in shootout as Bruins fall to Sabres" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/01/tyler-ennis-scores-game-winner-in-shootout-as-bruins-fall-to-sabres/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.