- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Nathan Horton, Marc Savard come up big in front of Tuukka Rask as Bruins defeat Maple Leafs
Posted By DJ Bean On January 3, 2011 @ 9:30 pm In General | 2 Comments
Horton, who had not scored a goal in nine games entering the night, beat Leafs goaltender James Reimer from the high slot at 7:56 of the second period and set up a Savard one-timer later in the period. Mikhail Grabovski got the Leafs on the board in the first period, but his breakaway goal was the extent of the Leafs’ scoring.
Rask made 36 saves in improving to 3-7-1 on the season. The Bruins have now wrapped up their five-game road trip and will return to the Garden to face the Wild on Thursday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- As good as it is to see Horton get on the scoring sheet, ultimately the breakout was by his entire line. Since Claude Julien  put the Milan Lucic -Savard-Horton line together following the team’s Dec. 20 loss to the Ducks, the line hadn’t produced a single goal. Two from the line on Monday was a good sign that Julien was wise in not blowing up the line after earlier, quieter showings.
- If Rask’s confidence was in question, he can leave Monday night’s game knowing that he came up big in Toronto. Rask got sharper throughout the night, stopping an onslaught of from the Leafs early in the third that consisted of two quick shots from Phil Kessel  and a follow-up bid from Tyler Bozak at 15:44. He later came up huge against Colby Armstrong with just over 11 minutes remaining.
- Tyler Seguin  had only two shots on goal and was a minus-1 (it was his shot that Luke Schenn blocked and sent up to Grabovski), but the youngster is playing a more confident game of late. Perhaps even more apparent than it was in Saturday’s two-point performance, Seguin doesn’t look like a rookie overly concerned with limiting mistakes. Confidence undoubtedly will yield improved stats.
- The Bruins have not lost in regulation since the aforementioned Dec. 20 game. They took eight of 10 points on their five-game road trip after beating the Thrashers at home on Dec. 23.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Mark Recchi  got caught in a line change on Grabovski’s goal, though the play was the result of many players being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The defense, assuming Seguin’s shot would go through, wasn’t anticipating the play going the other way, and with Grabovski streaking, it was a perfect storm for the Leafs.
- The Bruins had only one power play on the night, the result of a first-period interference call on Mike Komiserik, and went 0-for-1 with the man advantage. Over the last three games, the B’s have gone 0-for-6 on the power play.
- Who knew Canada was more out of touch with North American rock music than the Czech Republic? Metallica’s “I Disappear” could be heard late in the third period coming from the Air Canada Centre speakers. O2 Arena in Prague was a little closer to relevant rock with their painful Nirvana overkill.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/03/nathan-horton-marc-savard-come-up-big-in-front-of-tuukka-rask-as-bruins-defeat-maple-leafs/
URLs in this post:
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Maple Leafs: http://media.weei.com/hockey/toronto-maple-leafs.htm
 Air Canada Centre: http://media.weei.com/basketball/air-canada-centre.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Phil Kessel: http://media.weei.com/hockey/phil-kessel.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 > Nathan Horton, Marc Savard come up big in front of Tuukka Rask as Bruins defeat Maple Leafs" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/03/nathan-horton-marc-savard-come-up-big-in-front-of-tuukka-rask-as-bruins-defeat-maple-leafs/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.