- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins blow two-goal lead, fall to Canadiens in overtime
Posted By DJ Bean On January 8, 2011 @ 9:59 pm In General | 3 Comments
The Bruins gave up a 2-0 lead in the final minutes of regulation before Max Pacioretty  sent a wrist-shot past Tim Thomas  at 3:43 of overtime to give the Habs a 3-2 overtime victory on Saturday night.
Thomas lost what would have been his sixth shutout of the season with 2:22 remaining in regulation when he failed to get a stick on a Scott Gomez shot with the Canadiens on the power play. One minute and 34 seconds later, former Boston College  star Brian Gionta redirected a James Wisniewski shot past Thomas to cap the Habs’ comeback.
The Bruins got a pair of goals from Patrice Bergeron , who scored his ninth and 10th goals of the season in the second period.
The Habs outshot the Bruins, 25-8 in the third period and overtime combined, and finished the night with 42 shots on Thomas. Carey Price  made 27 saves for the Canadiens on 29 shots.
With the overtime loss, the Bruins remain in first in the Northeast division with 49 points. The B’s have played two games less than the Habs thus far this season.
From Montreal, the Bruins will travel to Pittsburgh, where they will take on the Penguins . Two of their next four games come against the Penguins, with the other two being played against the Senators and Flyers.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- An 0-for-3 showing on the power play means the Bruins have now gone five games without a power play goal. The last time the B’s scored on a man advantage was back on Dec. 28 when Mark Recchi  scored the game-winner against the Lightning with 20 seconds remaining in regulation.
- Michael Ryder’s penalty for tripping Wisniewski came back to bite the B’s, as it led to Gomez’ goal and Thomas losing his shutout.
- P.K. Subban didn’t seem interested in obliging Shawn Thornton , as the B’s enforcer/semi-sniper had plenty to say to the rookie defenseman as he skated away from an invitation. Subban is responsible for the huge (and clean) hit on Brad Marchand  last month that cost Marchand three games.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Though it was Bergeron’s first two-goal game of the season, it also made for yet another productive night in a very productive stretch. Bergeron now has 12 points over his last 11 games. Though Bergeron has had his offensive lulls this season (two different scoreless streaks of four games, including one to kick off the season), he has been one of the Bruins’ top offensive performers since mid-December.
- When Mathieu Darche whacked a puck past Thomas with a stick that was right around crossbar height, the B’s were undoubtedly aided when, after a few seconds, it was called no-goal on the ice. The play was very close, and it seemed whatever the call on the ice was would stand given that the video evidence wasn’t overwhelming one way or another.
- Wheeler falls in both categories. He took two penalties in the game, but he also drew one and broke a three-game scoreless streak when he assisted Bergeron’s first goal. His three games without a point made for his coldest streak since going five games without a point in early December. Wheeler has 16 points on the season.
The 24-year-old winger had an opportunity to give the B’s a three-goal lead in the third when he intercepted an attempted clear from Price. He took a split-second too long with it, as Price, who was out of his net, was able to get back in time to glove Wheeler’s attempt.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/08/bruins-blow-two-goal-lead-fall-to-canadiens-in-overtime/
URLs in this post:
 Max Pacioretty: http://media.weei.com/hockey/max-pacioretty.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Boston College: http://media.weei.com/ncaa/boston-college-eagles.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Carey Price: http://media.weei.com/hockey/carey-price.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Marc Savard: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-savard.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 > Bruins blow two-goal lead, fall to Canadiens in overtime" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/08/bruins-blow-two-goal-lead-fall-to-canadiens-in-overtime/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.