- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins throttle Senators behind Patrice Bergeron’s first career hat trick
Posted By DJ Bean On January 11, 2011 @ 9:37 pm In General | No Comments
Patrice Bergeron  notched his first-career hat trick Tuesday night, as the Bruins blasted their way past the Senators, 6-0, at TD Garden.
Bergeron had what was the game-winning goal when he opened the scoring at 3:33 of the first, and added goals in the second and third period. Blake Wheeler , Brad Marchand , and Tyler Seguin  netted the Bruins’ other three goals. David Krejci  also had a two-point night.
Tim Thomas  made 31 saves in the victory, recording his league-leading sixth shutout of the season.
With the Canadiens winning on Tuesday, the Bruins held onto their two-point lead in the Northeast Division.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Tim Thomas has now set a career high for shutouts in a season — just one game into the second half of the season. Thomas, who began his season with a shutout in Prague, had gone 12 starts without blanking a team, his longest stretch of the season.
With six shutouts, Thomas now holds the league lead all to himself, while also leading the NHL  in goals against average and save percentage. He’s the easy mid-season choice for Vezina.
– Bergeron continued the torrid pace he is on. With his three goals on Tuesday night, Bergeron now has 17 points over the last 13 games. He’s been rather balanced in going about it as well, as he has eight goals and nine assists in that stretch.
– Seguin has struggled to produce in home games, as he had just four points at the Garden prior to Tuesday night. He turned that trend around by having his first multi-point game at the Garden (his second multi-point game of the season, as he had a goal and an assist on Jan. 1 in Buffalo).
– That’s two straight games with a goal for Brad Marchand. His value to this team can’t be stressed enough, as he’s effective both as an energy guy and as a bigger contributor when called upon to play on the the second line.
Marchand has three points over his last three games. He leads Bruins rookies with eight goals this season.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Two brave souls tossed tossed their hats onto the ice after Marchand’s goal, believing it to be Bergeron’s hat-trick-notching tally. Before one could even commend their daring nature, the entire ice was filled with the hats thrown for the wrong reason.
The question is whether the folks who went to the pro shop in between periods to restock were the same ones who tossed hats once Bergeron actually got the hat trick.
– Not that the Bruins need it, but they get their first power play of the night until 6:58 of the third period. Drawing penalties has been a struggle for the B’s at times this year, and considering they’re not a safe bet to win by six every night, it remains an area that needs improvement.
The B’s ended up with two more power plays late in regulation thanks to a Matt Carkner roughing call and a delay of game. The Bruins were 0-for-3 on the power play.
– While the game was a blowout, it was hardly a triumph. The Senators were equally as bad as the bruins were on the night, as Ottawa seemed to pride itself in turning the puck over in the their zone throughout the night.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/11/bruins-throttle-senators-behind-patrice-bergerons-first-career-hat-trick/
URLs in this post:
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 > Bruins throttle Senators behind Patrice Bergeron’s first career hat trick" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/11/bruins-throttle-senators-behind-patrice-bergerons-first-career-hat-trick/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.