- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins look for third straight win as they take on Flyers
Posted By DJ Bean On January 12, 2011 @ 11:19 pm In General | No Comments
Fresh off a 6-0 trouncing of the Senators on Tuesday, the Bruins (23-12-7) will will play their second of four consecutive home games when they host the Flyers (27-10-5) on Thursday. The two teams have split the season series thus far, with the Bruins grabbing a 3-0 win in Philadelphia on Dec. 1 and the Flyers returning the favor with a 2-1 overtime victory at TD Garden on Dec. 11.
The Flyers sit atop the Eastern Conference with 59 points in 42 games and are currently riding a four-game winning streak. With the Canadiens falling to the Penguins , 5-2, on Wednesday, the Bruins have an opportunity to expand their lead in the Northeast Division to four points. Tim Thomas  will get the nod for the B’s.
WHERE IT’S AT
– The Bruins are 10-7-3 in home games this season. They’ve gone 3-2-0 over their last five contests at the Garden dating back to their 3-2 win over the Capitals on Dec. 18.
– The Flyers are 14-4-3 outside of Wells Fargo Center , and their 31 road points on the road put them in a tie with the Rangers for the most in the NHL . They’ve gone 3-2-0 in their last five road contests, most recently beating Buffalo, 5-2.
– The Flyers are one of only two teams in the Eastern Conference to have a better goal differential than the Bruins. The B’s are a plus-30 on the season, while both the Flyers and Penguins are a plus-33. The Canucks lead the league with a plus-42 differential.
– Patrice Bergeron  has two things going for him entering the game, as he’s scored one of the Bruins’ four goals against the Flyers this season and is riding hot streak consisting of 17 points in his last 13 games. Bergeron recorded his first career hat trick on Tuesday night.
Tyler Seguin , who also scored in that Dec. 1 game, is coming off a two-point night Tuesday.
– Since scoring the Bruins’ only goal against Philadelphia on Dec. 1, Nathan Horton  has just one tally, a second-period strike against the Maple Leafs on Jan. 3. That’s a span of 12 games with just one goal. Horton has 12 on the season.
– The Bruins have scored 10 goals without allowing one dating back to the third period of their 4-2 win over the Penguins on Monday night. Those numbers are of course helped a bit by the fact that the majority of them came against the lowly Senators.
STORLYINES GOING IN
– It seems there have been a lot of instances of wondering whether a player hindered by an undisclosed injury will be able to go. This time, it’s Milan Lucic . The Bruins’ leading goal-scorer was kept out of Tuesday night’s game, with Claude Julien  saying that the injury is “hopefully a day-to-day situation.” [UPDATE: Lucic will not play .]
– The last time the Flyers were in town, Jody Shelley became a villain to Boston when he shoved B’s defenseman Adam McQuaid into the end boards while the two were racing for an iced puck. McQuaid was shaken up a bit, while Shelley was suspended for two games.
– That Dec. 11 was a forgettable one for Marc Savard . It was his turnover that led to Mike Richards ‘ game-winner in overtime. It was Savard’s fifth game since returning from post-concussion syndrome.
In 19 games this season, Savard has six points (2 G, 2 A) and a team-worst minus-8 rating.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/12/bruins-look-for-third-straight-win-as-they-take-on-flyers/
URLs in this post:
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Wells Fargo Center: http://media.weei.com/basketball/wachovia-center.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Lucic will not play: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/13/post-morning-skate-notes-milan-lucic-out-tim-thomas-off-first-mark-stuart-takes-another-step/
 Marc Savard: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-savard.htm
 Mike Richards: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mike-richards.htm
 > Bruins look for third straight win as they take on Flyers" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/12/bruins-look-for-third-straight-win-as-they-take-on-flyers/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.