- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Steven Kampfer the hero as Bruins win wild one over Flyers
Posted By DJ Bean On January 13, 2011 @ 9:37 pm In General | 3 Comments
Steven Kampfer saw to it that the Bruins had the last laugh in a back-and-forth affair, scoring with just 1:34 remaining in regulation to give the B’s a 7-5 win over the Flyers at TD Garden.
The rookie scored his fourth goal of his career in dramatic fashion, capping a game that featured five lead changes between the two teams. Gregoy Campbell added an exclamation point with an empty net goal with 6.8 seconds left.
The Bruins came up with three third-period goals, getting timely tallies from Mark Recchi , Michael Ryder , and Brad Marchand . Zdeno Chara  and Patrice Bergeron  also scored for the Bruins. It was Chara’s second goal in three games, while Bergeron has now scored six over his last four.
Tim Thomas  earned the victory, allowing five five goals on 35 shots.
The Bruins will face the Penguins  in a matinee on Saturday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– The Bruins scored goals in the first 45 seconds of both the seconds. Bergeron redirected a Steven Kampfer shot past Boucher at 0:45 of the second, while Recchi tied it up just 38 seconds into the third.
Recchi got a very lucky bounce on his goal. With Boucher going to behind the net to play a puck that had been dumped in the zone, the puck bounced right off the end boards and in front of the net, where Recchi easily sent it into an empty goal.
– It was good to see Shawn Thornton  challenge Jody Shelley in the first period. Thursday marked Shelley’s first game at the Garden since his shove from behind on Adam McQuaid that got him suspended for two games. The B’s didn’t have their chance to get back at Shelley after the play on Dec. 11, as he was tossed, but Thornton sent a good message with fisticuffs on Thursday.
– This can be a game that gives Marc Savard  some confidence that he desperately needs. He was the star of the team’s 5-on-3 that led to Chara’s goal in the first period. He nearly scored himself in front of the net on the two-man advantage, but the puck was blocked by Recchi’s skate.
– Marchand has had success on the Merlot Line and second line this season, and it seems he can handle any sort of mix-and-match situation he’s thrown in. Greogory Campbell and Blake Wheeler  contributed to the undersized winger’s ninth goal of the season.
– Nathan Horton  is crawling back to being the asset he’s capable of being. He still has just one goal in his last 13 games, but he had three shots on Boucher through the first two periods and got a helper on Ryder’s tally. It still is Horton’s second game back from missing two contests with an undisclosed injury, but he’s back to playing strong games and just needs to see more production.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The Bruins squandered two leads in the game, one of which came in the third period. All in all there were five lead changes on the night, with neither team leading by more than one goal until Campbell’s empty netter.
– The five goals that Thomas allowed are the most he’s given up this season. The Vezina wasn’t at is top form, but he had to deal with lots of odd man rushes given up by the B’s.
The good news for Thomas was that he picked up his third assist of the season on Recchi’s goal. He now has three helpers on the season.
– Andrew Ference  missed the third period, though it’s unclear what kept him from playing. We smell an undisclosed injury.
– Chara had a bad turnover in the second period that led to the Flyers tying it at two in the second. With the B’s up, 2-1, following a Bergeron’s goal, the captain took a shot from the point that was blocked and sent up to Nikolay Zherdev, who beat Thomas on a breakaway.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/13/steven-kampfer-the-hero-as-bruins-win-wild-one-over-flyers/
URLs in this post:
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Marc Savard: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-savard.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 > Steven Kampfer the hero as Bruins win wild one over Flyers" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/13/steven-kampfer-the-hero-as-bruins-win-wild-one-over-flyers/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.