- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Penguins do the third-period scoring, sink Bruins
Posted By DJ Bean On January 15, 2011 @ 3:27 pm In General | 1 Comment
The Bruins were used to third-period success against the Penguins  this season, but the tables were somewhat turned Saturday in a 3-2 Penguins victory.
With the Penguins entering Saturday having allowed nine third-period goals and scoring none against the Bruins this season, Jordan Staal changed Pittsburgh’s fortune by scoring at 3:25 of the third to break a 2-2 tie.
After falling behind, 2-0, on goals from Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis, the Bruins got two goals 13 seconds apart from Dennis Seidenberg  and Michael Ryder , though they failed to add more despite the 46 shots they got on Penguins netminder Marc-Andre Fleury .
Tuukka Rask  made 34 saves on 36 shots and fell to 4-9-1 on the season.
The Bruins will conclude their current fur-game homestead when they host the Hurricanes for a matinee on Monday.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Steven Kampfer left the game less than a minute into the second period and did not return. He took a high stick from Pascal Dupuis in the corner and left a small puddle of blood on the ice before exiting.
Kampfer was unable to disrupt Kunitz in front of the net on the Penguins’ first goal and was also on the ice for Dupuis’ tally, giving him a minus-2 rating in his 5:54 of ice time.
– With Sidney Crosby  out still out for the Penguins with a concussion, Staal did the damage offensively for the Penguins. The 2006 second overall pick made the pass that bounced off Kunitz’ skate and into the net in the first period, while he scored his second goal of the season by backhanding one past Rask in the third period. Saturday marked Staal’s seventh game back since returning from a broken hand.
Matt Cooke  also had a multi-point game, assisting both Kunitz’ and Staal’s tallies.
– Apparently the teams got the second and third periods mixed up. The Bruins, in something more typical of their third-period play vs. the Penguins this season, ended the second period on a high note with two quick strikes. The Penguins had not scored a third period goal against the Bruins this season prior to Staal’s goal.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Ryder has now scored in consecutive games, and both of them were big goals. After netting the tally that gave the B’s a 4-3 lead in the third period Thursday against the Flyers, Ryder came up big again, tying the game at two late in the second period Saturday.
The 30-year-old tied a season high for shots on goal in a game with seven. He also had seven on Dec. 20 in the team’s 3-0 loss to the Ducks.
– The brief injury scare for Marc Savard  proved to be nothing. The center, who is just 21 games into his return from post-concussion syndrome, was down on the ice for about a minute in the third period and was visited by trainer Don DelNegro before leaving the ice on his own power. Savard returned to play on his next shift.
– Seidenberg had his second multi-point night in the last four games. He put the B’s on the board with a blast from the point in the second period that was aided by some fine screen-work by Daniel Paille . He assisted Ryder’s strike 13 seconds later.
On the season, Seidenberg now has 18 points.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/15/penguins-do-the-third-period-scoring-sink-bruins/
URLs in this post:
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Marc-Andre Fleury: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-andre-fleury.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Sidney Crosby: http://media.weei.com/hockey/sidney-crosby.htm
 Matt Cooke: http://media.weei.com/hockey/matt-cooke.htm
 Marc Savard: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-savard.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 > Penguins do the third-period scoring, sink Bruins" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/15/penguins-do-the-third-period-scoring-sink-bruins/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.