- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins look to make it two wins in two days vs. Hurricanes
Posted By DJ Bean On January 18, 2011 @ 12:05 pm In General | 2 Comments
The Bruins and Hurricanes have taken turns shutting one another out this season, and on Tuesday, the Canes will look to avenge a 7-0 beatdown the B’s delivered on Monday. Tim Thomas  had his seventh shutout, while Zdeno Chara  notched his first career hat trick.
WHERE IT’S AT
- The Hurricanes are 11-7-2 at the RBC Center this season. They’ve won their last three home games, the most recent of which was a 6-4 win over the Lightning on Saturday.
- The Bruins are 13-5-4 in road games this season. They have picked up points in each of their last seven away games (4-0-3). It’s been over a week since they’ve played outside of the Garden, with the B’s scoring four goals in the final 3:23 against the Penguins  in a 4-3 victory in Pittsburgh last Monday.
- Only two of Thomas’ seven shutouts have come against teams that would have a playoff spot if the season were to end today, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s leading the league in the category and both the other major goaltending categories (GAA and save percentage). Claude Julien  has given Thomas the next start following each of his shutouts this season.
- Despite not picking up any points on Monday, Carolina rookie Jeff Skinner still has eight (5 G, 3 A) over his last six games. The seventh overall pick has 16 goals and 20 assists for 36 points. His point total leads all rookies, with Brad Marchand ‘s 19 points putting him 10th and Tyler Seguin ‘s 16 putting him 14th.
- After going 0-for-13 on the power play from Dec. 30 to Jan. 8, the Bruins have picked it up on the man advantage, going 5-for-22 in five games since. They are still just 19th in the league with a 17.5 power play percentage, though their fourth-ranked penalty kill hasn’t allowed a goal in four games.
- Milan Lucic  has gone 12 goals without a game, though he did shoot a puck past a goaltender who tried saving it, if that counts for anything, on Monday. Lucic still leads the B’s with 16 goals on the season.
- Adam McQuaid, Marc Savard , and Mark Stuart  tied for a game-high plus-3 rating on Monday. McQuaid was one of four Bruins to have a multi-point game in the matinee. Chara, Patrice Bergeron , and David Krejci  also had multiple points on the day.
STORYLINES GOING IN
Julien had said Monday that he was a possibility for Tuesday’s game, and that it would be a tough decision regarding which guy to sit. While that likely won’t pertain to Tuesday, it’s still a question worth exploring. Both Steven Kampfer and McQuaid have played very well, and both have four points over their last four games. Kampfer brings the Bruins more of what they need with his abilities as a puck-moving defenseman, but the B’s might also want McQuaid in there in case it’s a more physical game following the B’s beatdown of the Canes Monday.
- The Bruins chased Cam Ward  from Monday’s game in less than 12 minutes, though Paul Maurice said following the contest that he expects Ward to start Tuesday. Justin Peters wasn’t much of an improvement over Ward, as he allowed five goals over the rest of the game and racked up four penalty minutes.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/18/bruins-look-to-make-it-two-wins-in-two-days-vs-hurricanes/
URLs in this post:
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Marc Savard: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-savard.htm
 Mark Stuart: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-stuart.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 doesn’t necessarily seem that way: http://twitter.com/#!/NaokoFunayama/status/27406356990394368
 Cam Ward: http://media.weei.com/hockey/cam-ward.htm
 > Bruins look to make it two wins in two days vs. Hurricanes" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/18/bruins-look-to-make-it-two-wins-in-two-days-vs-hurricanes/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.