- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Tim Thomas helps Bruins past Hurricanes again
Posted By DJ Bean On January 18, 2011 @ 9:37 pm In General | 1 Comment
The Bruins beat the Hurricanes, 3-2, Tuesday night to grab their second win over Carolina in as many days.
Milan Lucic  took a pass from Mark Recchi  on the power play at 11:49 of the third period with the game tied at two and sent a wrist-shot past Hurricanes goaltender Cam Ward  to secure the game-winning goal. The Bruins also got goals from Johnny Boychuk  and Brad Marchand  in the first and third periods, respectively.
Tim Thomas  made a season-high 43 saves as the Hurricanes put 45 shots on goal. Carolina got goals from Jussi Jokinen and Tuomo Ruutu.
The Bruins went 2-for-5 on the power play while killing off four of their five penalties. They will return to the Garden to face the Sabres on Thursday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Thomas carried the Bruins throughout the night, but the second period stood out for the Vezina favorite. The Hurricanes outshot the B’s, 19-9 in the second, and on the night, Thomas made a season-high 43 saves. Thirty-seven were made in the first two periods.
- After initially being credited, having the goal taken away, and being credited once again, Boychuk finally has his first goal of the season in his 36th game. Boychuk had five in 51 games for the B’s last season.
- Lucic scored his first goal in the last 13 games when he put the B’s up, 3-2, on the power play. He continues to lead the Bruins with 17 goals.
- The members of the Wheeler-Campbell-Thornton were strong for the B’s, as Wheeler drew an elbowing penalty from Tuomo Ruutu and the line’s pressure late in the second period forced the Hurricanes to flip it over the glass in their own zone for a delay of game penalty.
- The Bruins weren’t handed too many opportunities in the second period, so they took advantage when handed one in the third. Following an icing by the Hurricanes, Mark Recchi won the face-off and Zdeno Chara  threw a shot on Ward from the point, with Marchand scoring on the rebound.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Despite Marchand scoring and drawing a gift penalty from Eric Staal, he had a regrettable hooking penalty in the first period. With the B’s leading, 1-0, Marchand whiffed on a puck from right around the hashmarks, and as the play went the other way, he hooked Ian White to put the Hurricanes on the man advantage. It was on his power play that Jokinen tied it up at one.
- Nathan Horton  still has just one goal over his last 16 games, as he was robbed in the second period when Ward picked his wrist-shot from the slot.
Horton, who has struggled to consistently get pucks on net, tied for the Bruins’ lead with four shots on goal on Tuesday. He had just one on Monday.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/18/tim-thomas-helps-bruins-past-hurricanes-again/
URLs in this post:
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Cam Ward: http://media.weei.com/hockey/cam-ward.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 > Tim Thomas helps Bruins past Hurricanes again" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/18/tim-thomas-helps-bruins-past-hurricanes-again/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.