- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Marchand’s four points lead Bruins past Avalanche
Posted By DJ Bean On January 22, 2011 @ 5:35 pm In General | No Comments
Four Bruins goals in the first two periods both chased Colorado netminder Craig Anderson from the game and helped the team to a 6-2 victory on Saturday.
Brad Marchand  and Mark Recchi  had four and three-point showings, respectively, while linemate Patrice Bergeron  also scored and had an assist. Milan Lucic  had two goals for the B’s, and with David Krejci ‘s two assists on the day, five different Bruins had multi-point showings.
The Avalanche jumped out to a 1-0 lead behind an odd Paul Stastny goal at 2:00 of the first that bounced off of Dennis Seidenberg , but the B’s scored four unanswered goals to end Anderson’s day after 40 minutes. Peter Budaj took over in the third, allowing Bergeron’s goal.
Marc Savard  took a hit from former Bruin Matt Hunwick in the corner in the second period and left the game with a head injury. He held a towel to his face as he skated off the ice.
Tim Thomas  improved to 23-4-6 on the season with the win. He made 32 saves in the victory.
The Bruins will travel to Los Angeles, where they will face the Kings on Monday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Marchand continued to prove he’s been the best of an impressive bunch of Bruins’ rookies. He held his own with Avalanche defenseman Ryan O’Byrne in front of the net on his first-period goal, and drew Anderson so far out of his net on a 2-on-1 in the second period that the rookie was able to simply slide it to Mark Recchi for an easy one-timer goal.
His second goal of the game was an empty-though it came with Seidenberg in the bench and made for his fourth shorthanded goal of the season. Marchand now has 12 goals and 12 assists on the season.
- Recchi scored his 10th goal of the season, making him the eighth Bruins player with at least 10 goals this season. Last year, the B’s had eight players reach double-digits in goals, and it appears they will expand on that number given that four different Bruins have seven goals on the season.
- Lucic set a career-high in goals in a season with his first period goal and added to the number in the second period. With 19 goals thus far, Lucic is one strike away from the 20 he set as a pre-season goal.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Marc Savard had his second injury scare in the last Saturday’s game against the Penguins , but unlike the hit he took in that game from Deryk Engelland, his hit from former teammate Hunwick knocked him out of the game.
Savard appeared to be bleeding as he left the ice following the second-period hit. After missing the first 23 games of the season due to post-concussion syndrome, any time the center (who is in the first year of a seven-year deal) leaves the ice holding his head is greatly concerning.
- Nathan Horton  is still searching for that goal to break him out of his slump. He had two shots on goal and had an interesting chance when he swung at a bouncing puck in the second period, but now has just one goal over his last 18 games.
- Former Boston University Terrier Kevin Shattenkirk was a thorn in the Bruins’ side, getting the primary assist on Stastny’s goal and making it a two-goal game with a goal of his own early in the third.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/22/marchands-four-points-lead-bruins-past-avalanche/
URLs in this post:
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Marc Savard: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-savard.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 > Marchand’s four points lead Bruins past Avalanche" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/22/marchands-four-points-lead-bruins-past-avalanche/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.